How about this deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GermanyChris, Aug 25, 2011.

  1. GermanyChris, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

    GermanyChris macrumors 601

    GermanyChris

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Location:
    Here
    #1
    Some one has offer to by the the MBP in my signature for 1k less the SSD. I can buy a new base model for $1187 what would you do? Sell and buy new or keep?
     
  2. Gen macrumors 6502a

    Gen

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2008
  3. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

    GermanyChris

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Location:
    Here
    #3
    it's a 7,1 C2D 2.4
     
  4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

    Dwalls90

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    #4
    C2D is really outdated IMO. Don't go for anything less than i5.
     
  5. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

    GermanyChris

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Location:
    Here
    #5
    While I agree and that is precisely why I would do the deal, the only time I do anything really processor intensive when I rip and transcode DVD's say 4-6 times a month. What I do have are discreet graphics and a mature processor that is well known with good battery life. I had none of the upgrade headaches I read about.

    The i5 will give to 2000 geekbench points but back in reality I'm just not sure it's worth it.. thats why I'm asking. I know it's technically better but in real life is it?
     
  6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

    dusk007

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    #6
    I don't know what kind of fool you found there but I would definitely do it.
    Yes the i5 has a slightly worse GPU but really read some thorough test the CPU makes more than up for it. The CPU is much faster. The GPU is in low detail settings (less complex graphics) about as good as the 320M and only in higher settings it really looses but hey in higher settings you can usually forget the 320M too.
    The Intel GPU is more power efficient, offers better encoding capabilities, has a really good multimedia engine and is for all but medium setting gaming actually better than the 320M.

    I assume here with 7.1 you are talking about a 2010 13" MBP with 320M GPU. And it is not a discrete GPU it is integrated. It shares the memory bandwidth with the CPU and the one thing a discrete GPU does always have to be called such is a seperate memory controller.
     
  7. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

    GermanyChris

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Location:
    Here
    #7
    I live in eurpoe he's paying in euro and I'm buying in dollars...so for hims is 700ish euro vs 1200euro new...sound like a swap to me...I'm probably going to go for it maybe it's sentimental..dunno..just having second thoughts.
     
  8. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Location:
    Boca Raton, FL
    #8
    So he would be getting your 7,1 with the 1TB and 8GB RAM? A refurb i5 is like $1089, plus $100 for a new 1TB HDD, and $40 for RAM; so it's ~$250 to get a 2011 to match your 7,1(unless you currenty have extended AppleCare, then it would be a decent amount more). Now the question is, is it worth it to you to upgrade? I don't think I would because I don't do anything processor intensive, but it's up to you.
     
  9. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

    GermanyChris

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Location:
    Here
    #9
    Yuppers I have Apple Care...that why I'm asking for opinions..it's going to cost me 187 plus apple care, plus 60ish for ram...I'll put the vertex 2 in the new one and this time keep the optical and go external for storage..
     
  10. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Location:
    Boca Raton, FL
    #10
    I wouldn't do it, I never push my 7,1 to the max, so having an i5 wouldn't really do anything for me.
     
  11. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

    GermanyChris

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Location:
    Here
    #11
    Thats what the rational part of my brain says "Chris the computer does everything you need and more" The geek says this is a cheap way to get an "iprocessor" which is obviously the future...

    I'll probably just hold unless someone has a more convincing argument that it has a way faster processor..Is there an argument like that to make?
     
  12. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Location:
    Boca Raton, FL
    #12
    Haha yeah, I guess it's easy for me to say I wouldnt do it because I don't have the option, but if it was infront of me then idk lol.

    The i5 is a lot faster, but the HD3000 is kinda a step backward. And would you ever take advantage of the i5 over the C2D?
    SATA3 is nice, but you already have a Vertex2. But you could put it in your MacPro and get a Vertex3. But aside from bench marks, do you ever max out SATA2?
    ThunderBolt is cool, but would you ever use it?
    The 8,1 uses slightly higher clocked RAM, but again, would you ever notice?

    I love my 7,1 and don't really see any reason I would want a 8,1. Even if it was a even trade, I still like having the 320M.
     
  13. GermanyChris thread starter macrumors 601

    GermanyChris

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Location:
    Here
    #13
    No..The only thing I really do to max out the CPU is transcode but I just don't do it often enough to really concern myself over that....

    TB is great in I think will be the future but really it won't be before EOL on this computer.

    It never really occurred to me to sell this computer until cash was waved...

    I've built my PC to be what I want in a mobile..I think it might be fun to rebuild it'll just be cheaper..when I bought my ram it was 90 euro a stick now it's $60 a pair..

    No I've never maxed SATA2 and until SATA3 becomes dependable I wouldn't switch..
     

Share This Page