Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
2815125675_a736f362ff_o.png

ayasin

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
In the words of Steve Jobs "in general the review system works remarkably well". Perhaps in your world Steve...the rest of us think it sucks ass.

PS. At least he gave you 5 and not 1 star.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
All they need is a person scanning and editing all the reviews. They just need a list of guidelines before posting so people don't think reviews are a place for... whatever this crap was in this review. Then they can hope people shape their reviews appropriately, or the editor can trim them, or bomb them completely.

Early days still. Most review I read are good enough, though I don't buy entertainment apps where the IQs are shoe sizes.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
I think that they should have one more radio box which is something like "I have not downloaded the application because it's too expensive".

I hate having to click "See all reviews" then taking out the one star reviews.

Some people post one star because of the price and they have no idea what it does or how the original program is already super expensive (like ProRemote...where ProTools can go up to 10K).

DarkNight79

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
Apple's Review Policy

They would be exceedingly rare rather than almost the norm as they are now.

Unfortunately, Apple's policy decision leads to a lot of really useless reviews- and many of 'reviewers' are pillaging any app that isn't free. Virtually every paid app has negative reviews saying "this should be free!" That's especially ironic considering iTunes sells songs for $0.99, but somehow $0.99 is too much for an app.

I don't see this changing unless Apple changes their policy and actually requires people to download and install an app before writing a review. That would eliminate 95% of the garbage reviews. That isn't likely unless enough people complain to the head honchos. I suggest every developer encountering this problem contact the senior people at the App Store/iTunes to complain about this problem- that would certainly get it on their radar. I think these contacts could help:

- Eddy Cue, VP of iTunes
- Elizabeth d'Errico, Head of App Store Merchandising
- Max Mueller, Head of App Store Engineering

If they hear the same complaint about bogus 'non-reviews' from dozens of different developers, maybe they'll listen and change the review policy to require people to download an app before writing a review.

lamadude

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Brussels, BE
Hmm I never see those kinds of reviews on the belgian iTunes store (knocks on wood) but I do have another problem. Why can we only see reviews from your own country store? That way unpopular apps end up with very few reviews if you live in a small country. The products are the same all over the world right?
And it's not a language issue, in my example of the belgian store they throw together reviews in Dutch, French and English (and the occasional one in german).
It would make more sense to group reviews by language rather than country.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
Hmm I never see those kinds of reviews on the belgian iTunes store (knocks on wood) but I do have another problem. Why can we only see reviews from your own country store? That way unpopular apps end up with very few reviews if you live in a small country. The products are the same all over the world right?
And it's not a language issue, in my example of the belgian store they throw together reviews in Dutch, French and English (and the occasional one in german).
It would make more sense to group reviews by language rather than country.
There are a number of location sensitive apps that rightfully get different reviews from different countries. For example a Movies app that works great in America but not the UK should be rated differently in the two country stores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.