How about this Tuesday?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CopperX, Feb 12, 2011.

1. CopperX macrumors member

What are the probabilities of getting the refresh this Tuesday the 15th?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Dual core Sandy Bridge CPUs will be released on Feb 20th so I doubt it.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd say pretty small. Intel isn't even shipping Sandy Bridge until the 20th, and Apple doesn't usually announce refreshes until the product is ready to be sold, so I'm guessing another month.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

tuesday is the day after Valentine's Day ... and nothing more

IMO refresh time for MBP is around April :cool:

5. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

6. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

What makesnyou suggest Tuesday? Nothing even remotely suggests that daynas a possibilitynn

7. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

They will announce the new MacBook Pro line as the "one more thing" at the iPad 2 keynote later this month. Speculation of course.

8. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

No, IMO
    Sandy Bridge Won't be released until the 20th, so if they announced them, everyone would not buy a MBP and instead wait until they are shipping the new ones.
    Poor business idea.

9. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I hope so but most likely not.

IF it is we should know by sunday.... but I really doubt it.

10. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

Nah, probably next tuesday. When things have been sorted out with intel.

11. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

90% likely

12. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Medium to high that they will. Apple might wait with the SandyBridge until next refresh due to all the problems there have been with SB.

13. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Taint gonna happen! I wouldn't mind but, as others have stated, the timing just isn't right.

14. macmac88 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Well that's for the fixed chips, right? What if Apple can use the flawed chips, which Intel already has and is still shipping out?...

15. Yin macrumors member

Another question though. someone mentioned that the announcement for a keynote (if there is one) comes about one week before the release of the product. is this true?

About one month ago, there were rumors that apple store employees are not allowed to take holiday from the last week of February until March.

16. Zauberer macrumors regular

My feeling is the 22nd. I say there is a 30% chance this coming Tuesday and a 50% chance the following Tuesday. With every week after that being quite likely, given the frequency of rumors recently.

*Note: Percentages are completely arbitrary, but I think they make me sound more credible, even though I am the farthest from a credible source.

17. macmac88 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Unless there's a big change then there won't be an event. Sandy Bridge is just a CPU update, so they might not even do an event for it...

18. Yin macrumors member

if there is only a speed bump, i guess they will not do a keynote. however, if there is a redesign, I think that there will definitely be a presentation.

given the date of the holiday blockade, i would guess that the mbp (or the iPad) is going to be announced the following week IF there is a keynote.

19. Jdstew1234, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

Jdstew1234 macrumors regular

I have to say you are right about a lot, I think that they could come out becaue the 20th is a consumer release.

On another note, your English is great If you natively spoke Finnish

20. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

since intel says 20th, i say mbp refresh on the beginning of march.

21. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The CPUs were never flawed, it was the chipsets. Apple may be able to use those "defective" chipsets because currently MBPs use only two SATA ports and the two SATA 6Gb/s ports in those new chipsets are fine (only SATA 3Gb/s were affected). Also, Intel will start shipping the fixed chipsets on 14th of Feb so an early March update with fixed chipsets is also plausible.

Apple could announce new MBPs next Tuesday but they could not ship them until the 20th unless Intel gives them a special permission (has happened couple of times in the past). I still wouldn't bet on next Tuesday though ;)

Yup, Finnish is my mother tongue. A lot of my studies have been in English though.