How about this Western Digital 1TB ext-HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bin, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Bin macrumors newbie

can it be used with my mac 896?

https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=341418

[​IMG]

General
    Device Type Hard drive - external
    Width 5.4 cm
    Depth 13.7 cm
    Height 16.6 cm
    Weight 1.17 kg
    Hard Drive
    Capacity 1 TB
    Interface Type IEEE 1394b (FireWire 800) / IEEE1394 (FireWire) / Hi-Speed USB / eSATA-300
    Buffer Size 16 MB
    Performance
    Interface Transfer Rate 800Mbps(FireWire800)/400Mbps(FireWire)/480Mbps(Hi-Sp.USB)/3Gbps(eSATA)
    Expansion / Connectivity
    Interfaces 1 x Hi-Speed USB - mini-USB Type B
    2 x IEEE 1394b (FireWire 800) - 9 pin FireWire 800
    1 x eSATA-300 - 7 pin external Serial ATA
    Miscellaneous
    Cables Included 1 x USB cable
    1 x IEEE 1394b cable - FireWire 800 (9-to-9 pin)
    1 x IEEE 1394 cable - FireWire 400 (9-to-6 pin)
    Compliant Standards EPA Energy Star, RoHS
    Package Type Retail
    Power
    Power Source Included AC adapter
    Power Device Power adapter
    Voltage Required AC 120/230 V ( 50 - 60 Hz )
    Software / System Requirements
    Software Included WD Anywhere Backup
    OS Required Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Vista, Apple MacOS X 10.4.8 or later
    Environmental Parameters
    Min Operating Temperature 5 °C
    Max Operating Temperature 35 °C

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I am 0/2 on WD drives. I won't be 0/3, that's for sure.

3. Bin thread starter macrumors newbie

why

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I don't know, you'd have to ask WD. The first one failed during the third year. The second one failed after 11 months. They told me to initialize it and see if it would work. I did, and it worked fine for 2 more months, then the same problem arose. They would not honor their warranty because the "new" problem occurred 1 month after the warranty expiration. What a f*cked-up company. I won't buy another WD hard drive again.

5. kolax macrumors G3

I haven't experienced any problems with my WD 500GB hard drive (touch wood).

6. danny_w macrumors 601

I never had problems with WD drives, and when I used them they were the #1 recommended drive for speed and reliability, but then again I haven't owned any in the last several years. Enough people on here seem to have troubles with them so I would probably steer clear.

7. Bin thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you all for your reply

are there any 1TB ext-HDD recommand?

8. IChing macrumors regular

9. Bin thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Bin thread starter macrumors newbie

is it to say that I can not store mp3,avi...fils on the HDD or just can not share them through internet?

I want to buy it to store my files, not to share them on internet, such as music, movie...

11. splashtech macrumors regular

You can store them but cannot share them across the internet. At least, thats the impression I got. I have one of these drives which I do NOT use for internet sharing - I only bought it for its NAS functionality - and I use it as my movie storage. And its fine.

12. Bin thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you, it is to say that it will suit me

are there any better one suggust?

thanks

13. danny_w macrumors 601

Apparently the version you are looking at is the Studio Edition, not the World Edition, so the DRM'ed content concern doesn't affect you. It only applies to the WD Anywhere Access, which is only available on the World Edition drives.

That said, I assume that you are wanting it to store music, avi, video, etc. as you said. Do you want to move your iTunes library to it to share with your network? If so, I would make sure that I had a backup, or preferably, use a RAID1 or RAID5 unit. With only a single disk and no redundancy you have no protection in case of disk failure. RAID 1 and RAID 5 give you redundancy in case a disk fails, or you can manually backup your data to another drive. Or you can get a NAS drive with RAID capabilities to share your library without the need of your computer as the server; several of these have a built-in iTunes server to allow other computers to find them as shared libraries and connect directly to them. This is what I am considering in the future, esp. if TimeMachine ever decides to support NAS drives.

14. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Get a Seagate, you can't beat a 5-year warranty.

15. Bin thread starter macrumors newbie

can i use this ext-hdd as my mac timemachine backup hdd?

16. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I have two 500 gig USB2 Seagates RAIDed as a single 1 tb volume for my TM. TM's been flaky for me, though. Hopefully this will resolve my problems since I kept getting "not enough room" errors, even though a single 500 gig drive had about 175 gigs free. TM is really clunky.

But, I only buy Seagate drives.

17. danny_w macrumors 601

If you are getting 1TB of usable space, that is RAID0, which gives you a performance increase due to striping, but gives NO data protection (normally what people think of when they think RAID). If either drive fails, you lose all data stored on the striped array. Just so you know.

18. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yeah, I know. My name's not iansilv.

Just a calculated risk. Although it's possible that both my hard drive and one of the RAID drives will fail at the same time, it's highly unlikely. When one dies, I'll replace it ASAP.