How about we get rid of some of these stupid stickys

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Eso, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Post pictures of your 3GS? Seriously? It's the same thing as the 3G.

Voice commands - "the complete list"? It's got all nine commands ripped straight out of the manual.

Why don't we put something useful up like of on the dozen threads about poor 3GS battery life? The link to the tethering carrier file?

2. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Somehow I think this thread is gonna get locked.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree. Way too many stickys.
    I gotta scroll down half the page to avoid them.

4. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

If you dont like them, then just ignore them. Some people may not know the full voice command list, or they have an issue with it. Some people like to get creative with their photos and want to show off. Plenty of the pix on the 3G S photos thread compare the two 3G's (like the boxes and other stuff). We honestly only need one battery life issue thread, and that's stretching the "need". If you have a battery issue, call Apple and have them tell you if it really is messed up

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I wished there was a setting to turn on/turn off posts, so we'd only see the ones we wanted. Oh well, I've made comments about this before; it's not gonna happen.

And it's kind of hard to "ignore them," when they take up so much space!

6. Eso thread starter macrumors 68000

Eso

I DO ignore them.

The fact is they still take up space on the top of the board constantly with topics that are not useful and that are outdated. I can understand the let's-post-pictures-of-our-3GS's-because-it-was-just-released-and-we're-so-excited-even-though-it-looks-identical-to-the-year-old-3G, but enough is enough.

7. jayenh macrumors 6502

i think the broken/one speaker thread is lol.

8. K00LJerk macrumors newbie

soon as you take em down someone inevitably will ask how to do those things. thats how it works....

9. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

11. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

LOL!!!! I was thinking of posting my thread but got too lazy to go look for it hahaha!:p

What? People dont ask, "How do you post pictures taken with your 3GS" Or ask "how do you take pictures OF your 3GS"

I like the speaker one, and the 100+ 3.0 features one, and the command one is a stretch, but can also stay.

But "Actual 3GS Video Quality"? Really?
    "First Impression Thread"? Really Really?
    "Post Pictures Of Your 3GS"? IT LOOKS JUST LIKE THE 3G!!!

So i dont think any of those thread would be brought back up if the stickies went away...

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

As the other thread sorta showed... Logic says keep them up. Look at the views and yes, people do ask why there is only one speaker working...

13. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

No one is complaining about those, those are fine because they fix a common problem. But look at all the ones i mentioned above, they are just stupid.

They were fine the fist month of the 3GS, but now it is just there.....

14. specify macrumors regular

15. Eso thread starter macrumors 68000

Eso

Exactly. How many months do you need a "first impressions" thread? I'm pretty sure our first impressions are over.

We don't need the "my iPhone isn't activating" - that was in response to the launch where activation servers were overloaded.

And whoever made "Post pictures of your 3GS" a sticky in the first place? Lamest sticky I've ever seen on a website to date. We don't have the "Post your iPhone wallpaper" thread sticky. Not only does it keep coming up to the top, but it actually gets new content on a consistent basis. They don't keep posting the same year-old wallpaper - which is basically what one does by posting pictures of the 3GS.

You're trying to tell me these sticky threads are more useful than the wallpaper, tethering, battery issues, or one of the MMS threads? These are topics that come up time and time again - where are their stickys?

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Once again, take one down at the expense of one new thread per day on the issue. The activation one is the only one that I see would even be worth taking down at this point, but it's one thread.

17. Eso thread starter macrumors 68000

Eso

It's astonishing that you think if certain stickys were removed threads about that subject would start popping up in their stead.

Please explain just how much demand you think there is for posting pictures of your (identical-to-the-3G) 3GS.

18. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

You honestly think people come here on a daily basis to post pictures of their phones that look exactly like everybody else's? I could see it being relevant if it was for posting pictures of cases. The phones are either black or they're white. They all have glass screens.

And I've never looked at the "post pictures of" or "post pictures taken with" threads. I look at the wallpaper thread almost daily.

19. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Then where is the MMS thead?

I HIGHLY doubt that if you take the post pictures of your 3GS, and post pictures taken with your 3GS threads down, that another person will come in a week and post another thread like it.

HOWEVER we get an MMS thread every other day and all people do is complain about how many there are but don't think to sticky one........:rolleyes:

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

However, you have to admit that EVEN if there was an MMS sticky, people would still post new MMS threads. I mean, why they don't add to the threads that already exist is beyond me, but they don't. My idea is to let us have the option of showing what stickies we want to see, but that's never going to happen either.

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Even with the sticky in the MacBook Pro section, there are two new threads a day of "i just ordered this sweet beast..." If you are going to waste time to post pictures of your phone, who says you are going to not make a new thread.

This argument holds true to one more sticky, one that is more active then the one I suggested taking down which hasn't had a post in a month. I'm lost how one less thread makes a difference? I haven't looked at any of the stickies besides xUKHCx's one speaker thread and that was too link someone to another thread. The point of stickies in general is to reduce clutter in repetition. Given that this issue was brought up two weeks ago and a mod has looked at the thread (considering one moved it to this section of the forums) it means that this issue has been brought to their attention. When they feel the need to remove a sticky, they will.

22. phaggard macrumors regular

The only good sticky is the one that you are interested in.

Don't read the others.

That's why we have a mouse and up and down scrolling.

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Good point, phaggard.

We are begged to add new stickies all the time, and it is always a trade-off. I'm glad we have threads like this one so we can point them out to those who ask.

We try to limit any given forum to at most a few stickies because we know that many site visitors are using small screens.

They've gotten overgrown in the iPhone forum and we'll trim them down.

24. iOrlando macrumors 68000

•You can now add 20 places to weather (found by jinjo235)

that was under the 100+ 3.0 Hidden Features sticky thread.

The more you know...*shooting start across the screen*

bought to you by your friends at Macrumors...

25. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Consolidate

How about one Sticky Thread called "Helpful Hints/FAQs" with links to other threads on various subjects? The title could be modified with "new link added 8/4/09" with the new link made a different color.