How accessible is WIFI in your area?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by GammaPoint, Sep 23, 2010.

1. GammaPoint macrumors newbie

Getting my first Touch in a couple days, with one of my primary uses (besides music obviously) being the ability to get on the internets. I am hoping that around my city there will be enough WIFI from restaurants, coffeeshops, etc. so that I can pretty easily get on the internet wherever I am without walking a great distance. Do you find that this is the case, or is free WIFI hard to find in your area?

2. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

I live in Central Illinois (Peoria, IL) and free internet is pretty common. Pretty much any coffee shop, branded bookstores, many restaurants, and even the two car dealers that I frequent have free wifi.

3. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and there are plenty of coffee shops, bookstores, McDonalds, etc... to provide free WiFi wherever I go. Also, my college campus is all WiFied up.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I live in Japan in the Tokyo area.

Free open WiFi. Forget about it. Very few places have it.

You can get paid WiFi plans such as for McDonalds. I'd have to check the rate, but it's fairly cheap. And of course you must log into an account to have access.

This is one area that I wish would change, but don't expect it to anytime soon.

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I have it nearly everywhere. Work (University), Home, Local Ford dealer, Barbershop (college bar next door), and from the hotspot my android phone creates when I need it in between.

6. prot0type macrumors regular

I have a decent amount of locations for wi-fi near me. Aside from that, worst case scenario, I also have a Sprint Overdrive for mobile 4g/3g access.

Coincidentally, if you're concerned about where you're headed not having wi-fi, one of the first apps you should get that was recently released is called Free wi-fi finder, it'll search for locations near you that provide wi-fi hotspots as well as download a list for offline reference.

7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

In my county in New York (Rockland), I'm very surprised at how much Wifi I pick up. First of all, I'm an Optimum Online customer. And they provide free Wifi hotspots in a lot of Main St. areas of towns/cities. It's pretty well covered actually. In addition to that, random businesses and things. Even when I'm walking the dog I keep up lots of unsecured wireless from people's houses.

I think the future is Wifi. I even think my town has a plan in place to install free community Wifi through the whole business district.

8. GammaPoint thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses everyone. I live in the Bay Area as well, so I'm thinking if anyplace has good wifi this is got to be one of those places.

I'll check out that Wifi app when I get my Touch tomorrow. Thanks!

9. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Just a hint. Sometimes when I'm walking around my neighborhood, I keep the Wifi page open in settings, where you can see it scan for Wifi hotspots. When I find one, I try to connect to it. If they are successful, the touch will "remember" those spots and connect to them automatically next time. The more spots you remember, the more seamless your experience can be if you do in fact have a good number of hotspots available where you live. Cause it'll jump from hotspot to hotspot automatically as soon as it sees one you've hit before.

10. GammaPoint thread starter macrumors newbie

That's awesome. Good to know!

11. chanerz macrumors 6502a

12. Bitcrusher macrumors member

Here the downtown has free Wifi but havent tried it yet :p but my school, house, and malls have free Wifi =)