Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedommer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Been messing with the health app. It suggests I talked a total of .59 km this morning. I really only walked to the street car then from the streetcar to work. Can't be more than a 1/4 kilometre. Just curious if people have noticed the accuracy. Same for steps etc. it says I did 940 already. I really didn't walk more than 5 minutes. Its possible its correct but feels off. It did get the floors climbed correct though.

Anyone have thoughts on the accuracy?

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
FYI-
The Fitbit app is free and it works without any external device. It accurately tracks steps, etc with functionality built into 5s and 6 iPhones.

Withings app does the same. I found the Health app seriously lacking compared to these two.

BTW- they all seem fairly accurate and match each other. They also match the readings on my Elliptical.

Last edited:

darkredcaffeine

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Been messing with the health app. It suggests I talked a total of .59 km this morning. I really only walked to the street car then from the streetcar to work. Can't be more than a 1/4 kilometre. Just curious if people have noticed the accuracy. Same for steps etc. it says I did 940 already. I really didn't walk more than 5 minutes. Its possible its correct but feels off. It did get the floors climbed correct though.

Anyone have thoughts on the accuracy?

You probably walk more than you think.

Taking your steps as an example. 5 minutes = 300 seconds, and personally I'd say I probably walk two steps per second, three if I'm in a rush. So that's somewhere between 600-900 steps. Plus if you walked around your house with the phone at all, it would include that too.

Not saying it's perfect, but I was surprised when I saw how much I walked too. Then I worked it out and realised I do walk further than I thought.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
The only way you're going to know is to count your steps and compare it to the phone. People's legs and gait are different, there are stutter steps when going up/down curbs, avoiding things, even slowing down to look at your phone, etc.

I've used Fitbit for a long time and it is amazingly accurate so I'm anxious to see how close the new phones are.

cricet1998

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
It appears the Fitbit app is not compatible with the M8 chip yet. Fitbit responded that they are aware and working on it.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
It appears the Fitbit app is not compatible with the M8 chip yet. Fitbit responded that they are aware and working on it.

just noticed that...worked fine on 5s

----------

I think the Health app grossly overcounts steps and stories (stairs climbed)

You base this on what?
The Health, Fitbit and Withings apps all are fairly close to each other in what they report and are pretty accurate. I can use an Elliptical and they match precisely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.