How accurate is Mobileme's Find iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tineofpower, Feb 16, 2010.

1. tineofpower macrumors newbie

I recently (an hour ago) had my iPhone stolen, so I went to MobileMe and tracked it. It said it is about 26 KM away. My question is, how accurate is MobileMe?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's as acurate as it can be.

In other words, if the phone is indoors then it could be off by quite a bit since the phone has to make a guess based off of cell towers.

So it CAN be acurate, but it might not be.

I know...that's not amazingly helpful, but that's the situation.

3. techwarrior macrumors 6502

techwarrior

Pretty accurate, won't find it under the couch in the living room but will point you to the house. Of course, it only works if the phone is online.

4. gdlcjr macrumors regular

My advice, if you lost your Iphone, don't bother looking for it. MobileMe could be useful to remote wipe.

Do you think, you can find your phone if it is on someone's house. Let say you find your phone's location. There are few houses around it. Are you going to knock on each house and tell them you think they got your phone? What if they told you they don't have it. Will you then call a police and have them search the house? I don't think soo.

5. designresults macrumors member

My wife has misplaced her iPhone 2 or 3 times, and it's at least let us know the phone was in our house. So, I'd say it's works pretty well.

6. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

no in all seriousness call the navy the air-force and the army and maybe the fbi but i would over a day or two keep using mobil me to track it and see if it gives u a more accurate location because the person who stole it will either sell it or wait to use it themselves, and if it gives u the house well get a battering ram and knock down the door but i hope u get ur phone back

im sorry for asking but how did it get stolen in the first place?

7. parstech macrumors newbie

i found mine

All i did was go to the two houses it showed than i displayed a message and it played in one of the rooms.:D