How accurate is the Buyers Guide? (Mid-2014 Retina)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1Sail0r2, Jun 7, 2014.

1. 1Sail0r2 macrumors newbie

How likely is it that a mid-2014 MacBook retina will be released? I am planning on buying one at best buy with the $75 discount but I have a feeling that since it's been 228 days since the last update that a speed bump on the retina will be released in July. Has the Buyers Guide really been that accurate in the past?

2. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

The guide is very reliable. But the MBP is still somewhat of a mystery because of the Broadwell issues. But if you can wait, then I suggest doing so. But if you get a good deal and decide to buy, the current gen rMBP's is really good so you won't regret it at all.

3. 1Sail0r2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I start school in mid august so technically I have 2 months left, the only reason id strongly consider buying now is to save $75 but I guess that's a silly reason when I'm planning to spend $1000+ to begin with.

Edit: also I don't really care for broadwell, I would prefer to have a speedbump and a mid-2014 mbp as opposed to a late-2013 for resale purposes down the line in a few years.

4. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hi,

A speed bump is possible in the new next few months. Broadwell won't be here until mid-2015. If Apple decides to refresh the 13" before the 15", Broadwell 13" rMBPs might land in Q1-2015.

I would say that you should wait for the last moment. If the speed bump doesn't arrive by then, buy the current models.

Raptor

5. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

If you have a .edu email address register for the student discount. You'll get another $150 off on top of that $75. I just bought one last week with that deal.

6. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

I wouldn't hold my breath for an update before the end of this year for the MacBook Pro... but as a student it may be worth while waiting until the fall as Apple typically runs a back to school promo where they hand out ~$100 iTunes Gift Cards with the purchase of a new Mac.