How agressive is the Wifi searching on the 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by syan48306, Oct 19, 2011.

1. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

I'd prefer to run on 3G exclusively as I don't use it for more than 30 mins of browsing a day but due to the icloud syncing and updating exclusively on Wifi, I've concluded that I've got no choice but leave wifi on for the most part.

That's fine since I'm at the university and I've got wifi in my house and most parts of the campus but for the times when wifi dips out, how agressive is the phone searching for wifi? I've got it set to don't "dont' ask to join networks" but that wont stop it from polling to see if a known network is in range. In my mind, if it's like 3G then that sould burn a **** ton of power but I'm assuming it's not. How much extra power does it burn when it searches for a signal?

Also, how much extra power is 3G + Wifi on going to burn than just 3G on if you use ~ 20 mins of browsing a day. Does the phone turn off the 3G antenna entirely as it's connected to wifi?

2. syan48306 thread starter macrumors 6502a

syan48306

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What do you mean by "aggressive"? The iPhone detects SSID broadcasts above a certain power threshold. It cannot do anything to increase the power of the SSID broadcast, and will only display what it sees.