How AirPlay would be a lot better (?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by frutter, Aug 30, 2011.

1. frutter macrumors newbie

Can anyone explain to me why Apple hasn't done the following?

I refer to making OSX *itself* able to detect an AirPlay compatible device and allowing a user to stream the *entire* audio or video to that device, as if it were an external speaker or display.

Instead they have picked a few (far too few) applications and allowed only those to stream content to Airplay devices. This seems utterly silly to me, and I really cannot understand what would be the advantage.

I generally think Apple has turned way too much attention towards mobile devices and way too little attention on OS X lately.

2. andyboutte macrumors member

I totally agree and have asked myself that for years.

these guys have been asking the same questions but they actually did something about it:

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

3. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Interesting point. I assume there is an API for iOS developers which makes AirPlay easy to add, where appropriate. Is there a similar API for OS X? You don't see many AirPlay mac apps.

On the other hand, when I send music from my mac to my various speakers, I don't really want all system audio going there too, or any of the stupid noises Office makes.

4. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I use AirServer. Only $5, well worth it considering the second cheapest option is an Airport Express or AppleTV at $99

5. frutter thread starter macrumors newbie

Airplay is a very nice program, but it is the opposite of what I suggest. Airplay allows you to *receive* streams of music and video from the programs that are able to broadcast it.

What I wish for is a system-wide way of broadcasting anything to the Airplay device.

As and update: I have fresh rumors from the guys behind "AirServer" that they are seriously considering the idea. :D

----------

Good point, too. :)

I can see why you would only want to send the audio from one specific program. But I suppose it would be only the same trouble as making sure you don't have browser windows open with strange content before you plug the projector. :)

----------

Very nice! Thanks for the link. Now I only wish those guys would make something similar for video.