How am I supposed to jailbreak my iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by helpmejbna, Jun 22, 2010.

1. helpmejbna macrumors newbie

Im on 3GS

1.) Jailbroke 3.1.2
    2.) Upgraded to 4.0 yesterday in iTunes
    3.) Tried to JB using Pwnagetool and got some kind of 1604 error in iTunes.

Help

2. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

3. junkmeh macrumors newbie

I'm in a similar situation. I'm a developer, so I had the betas and now the 4.0 Final installed. My device has its SHSH blobs stored in Cydia for 3.0 --> 3.1.2.

I'm guessing you can't go from 4.0 stock to 4.0 JB yet? As in, I should have 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 to go to 4.0 JB? If so, crappy. I hope redsn0w gets updated or something to support this particular predicament.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you upgraded to official 4.0 you're SOL.
    You should have waited like the Dev team posted.
    If you have SHSH's saved and you can restore back to 3.1.2 to JB with an untethered JB then you could upgrade to custom ipsw for 4.0

You can restore back to 3.1.2 and then JB on that firmware assumming you dont have a tethered JB.
    Then once JB you can update to custom 4.0 ipsw created with pwnage.

5. helpmejbna thread starter macrumors newbie

it says 3gs in the program.

6. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

well this is from what i read

7. helpmejbna thread starter macrumors newbie

when can I jailbreak? Dammit, why couldn't I just wait one day :mad:

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know :D
    Gotta wait and see. Hopefully soon they will release new tools.

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

No. Nothing changed in the last 9 hours.

10. critic81 macrumors regular

Download TinyUmbrella, iPhone 3.1.2 ipsw, iOS4 ipsw, redsn0w 0.92 and Pwnagetool 4. Open TinyUmbrella and get your 3.1.2 shsh. Then run the tss server. Open itunes and restore to 3.1.2. Jailbreak with redsn0w. Then use pwnagetool to make your jailbroken iOS4 ipsw. Then restore to iOS4 with the custom ipsw in iTunes. Turn off the TSS server before restoring to iOS4.

I did this last night and worked without a hitch. I have my iPhone 3GS up on eBay now. Good Luck

11. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Keep in mind that the aforementioned methods only work with iPhone 3GS' with the old bootrom.
    If you have the new bootrom, you will have to wait for a new exploit, which could take months.

12. critic81 macrumors regular

That is true, i left that out.

13. jlmitnick macrumors regular

I suspect shorter though. Unless you think it will be months before the iPhone 4 is jailbroken, I think that if they are able to release a jailbreak for the iPhone 4, they'll probably be able to release one for a new bootrom 3GS.

14. helpmejbna thread starter macrumors newbie

iTuens wont let me downgrade

15. critic81 macrumors regular

What did you do? Run through the steps with me.

16. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

If you upgraded to the official 4.0 you may NOT be SOL. I ended up upgrading to the official 4.0 and am now jailbroken on my 3GS. It took me all night but here's what I did.

Note that this is a jailbreak on an AT&T iPhone 3GS. I did not carrier unlock.

First: You must have your SHSH hashes on file with Cydia. You must have the old bootrom.

History: I was jailbroken at 3.1.2 on my 3GS. I applied the Pwnage 4.0 directly as directed. I got a jailbroken 3GS at 4.0 but I lost my carrier. I tried everything I could find but could could not get a carrier. I updated to the official 4.0. It worked fine and I got my carrier back. But of course I wasn't jailbroken. Once you're at official 4.0, you can no longer apply a custom ISPW. In fact, you can not even apply the official ISPW using the option>restore method. Only a fresh download will install. I was able to downgrade to 3.1.2 and jailbreak it. Then applied the Pwnage 4.0 custom ISPW and got it all to work properly.

Steps:
    1) Again - make sure you have your SHSH hashes with Cydia and are running the old bootrom.
    2) Add the Cydia IP address to etc/hosts file. You'll need to do a Google search if you don't know the address or procedure. I'm not at my Mac right now. I'm pretty sure that this redirect is important.
    3) Download Pwnage 3.1.4 (which is for the 3.1.2 firmware).
    4) Download the 3.1.2 ISPW
    5) Make a custom ISPW at 3.1.2 (jailbroken firmware)
    6) Put your iPhone into Restore mode and connect to iTunes.
    7) Use the option>restore mode to install 3.1.2.
    Note: the firmware will install but will hang before completion. Do a hard reset and your iPhone should come up with firmware 3.1.2 jailbroken installed. Note that you will NOT have a carrier signal. Your baseband is now for the iPhone firmware 4.0 and will not work with 3.1.2. As long as you can get your 3GS to open up, you're good.
    8) Download iOS 4.0 and Pwnage 4.0. Make a custom ISPW. In the General section, leave all boxes unchecked.
    9) Put your iPhone in Restore mode, Option>restore and select the custom ISPW.
    Your iPhone should now install the custom ISPW and you'll have a fully functional iPhone 3GS with 4.0 - jailbroken.

I'll tell you that I'm no expert. I'm not a developer or coder, just a tinkerer. I do have a working 3SG with jailbroken 4.0 after doing the official 4.0 update. Good luck. Hopefully others can expand on this.

17. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Ahh, iTuens never works. You need iTunes...

18. iphonewoman macrumors member

iPhone 3GS users : if you upgraded to stock 4.0 firmware you are screwed for now, you need to upgrade from 3.X to 4.0 using custom firmware created with Pwnage tool, that is the only way to jailbreak OS 4.0 for iPhone 3GS. iPhone 3G users can use redsn0w right on 4.0.

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com

19. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie