How am I supposed to know what stores accept Apple Pay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mactumors, Oct 7, 2014.

1. mactumors macrumors 6502

Once mores stores sign up, how am I supposed to know which NFC registers have an Apple Pay deal?

2. dmccombs macrumors member

Find the cutest cashier in each place and ask her. :cool:

Or look for the symbol.

3. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Wait until they start advertising it. I'm sure it will be advertised because there is money to be made there.

4. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

5. mactumors thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the problem, though. Lots of stores have terminals that look like that with the NFC logo. Not all of them are going to be accepting Apple Pay.

6. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Really? I'm confused then...ApplePay isn't just their branding of NFC? That's kind of silly. :(

7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I like that idea!

----------

That's what I thought.

8. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

9. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I suggest using Apple Pay at every store, and if the cashier says they don't accept it, shout "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T TAKE APPLE PAY?!" repeatedly until they enable Apple Pay just to make you stop.

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Anything that accepts NFC payments should work with Apple pay

11. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Only if the vendor is an ApplePay partner.

12. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Nope. NFC is simply the hardware technology that Apple Pay utilizes for communication with PoS systems. The actual mobile payments are based on dynamic security codes for authentication (essentially tokenization similar to that found on the Bank of America/Merrill Edge SafePass).

13. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Applepay is transparent to the terminal. Most of the magic is happening at the bank end. If your bank supports Apple pay, it will work at any NFC terminal.

Apple's deals were about securing commitments from retailers to support NFC (and thus Apple Pay) by the time it launches

14. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

You sure about that? For example: just because a store has a credit card reader doesn't mean they take MasterCard. You seem to be saying that if a store has an NFC capable reader it'll take ApplePay. I don't think that's correct...

15. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Walmart uses those NFC terminals pictured above, but they are not partnered with ApplePay.

Terraphantm - 0
    Surf Monkey - 1

Next round! Fight!

16. kowen14 macrumors member

I own a business and would like more info on this also. Anyone know for sure

17. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

My understanding of it is that NFC is just another payment method and Apple is using it through Apple pay. So my brain is telling me it will work at all places that accept NFC. And burger king just put NFC things at my local stores. No Apple pay sign any where. Im going to assume that it has something to do with Apple pay and not just a coincidence they pop up just after Apple pays announcement.

18. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Unless an Apple logo gets stickered on those boxes? No go. Same as Visa and MasterCard etc.. No logo, no go.

19. koban4max macrumors 68000

if you see apple symbol...at the front door.

20. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

No. NFC is just a hardware-based technology, like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or RFID. Apple Pay actually has a proprietary software portion that dictates what is happening when your iPhone or Apple Watch communicates with a PoS system. NFC can just as easily be used to transmit videos from a smartphone to an NFC-enabled television.

21. kowen14 macrumors member

22. alee macrumors 6502

The tokenization handling happens upstream. FirstData, MasterCard etc. (tier 1 processors) know what to do with it. The whole point is the store shouldn't know or care about the credit card. Just that it was accepted or declined. Obviously if the store doesn't take MC or Amex then it reads as an invalid card as usual.

Apple Pay isn't some mystical new idea. The way they do tokenization is clever but the general methodology has existed for a while. The consumer end is just regular NFC as credit card companies, Google and Softcard have been doing for years.

23. wxman2003 Suspended

You will know when Apple Pay is a total success when they accept them at liquor stores. :D

24. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

How long til a jailbreak app lets us use vanilla NFC payments? I don't envision Apple Pay getting into every cab in NYC on launch day, if ever, but every cab in NYC already has NFC.

25. mailboxbetacoin macrumors 6502

ApplePay is a wallet; at the end as a consumer, you still pay with a Mastercard, Visa, Amex... via ApplePay.

ApplePay is using a standard developed by those companies, and therefore yes, the contactless terminals are virtually all compatible with ApplePay. (from a technology standpoint)

Now compatible doesn't mean it will always work; in the case of small merchants that have those terminals, it should almost always work (unless you're using ApplePay with an american express with a merchant that doesn't accept Amex for example). Apple has secured agreements with Visa, Amex, Mastercard and the largest banks, so as long as they're the only major actors in a transaction, the transaction will go through. It won't cost more to the merchant or the consumer, so there will be no reason for this to be disabled.

For larger companies like Walmart, the transactions costs are negotiated at another level, and accepting ApplePay probably means higher costs at the end. Only if ApplePay becomes ubiquitous will they have to finally accept it.

SO long story short, yes most NFC terminals are compatible out of the box with ApplePay, but may have it disabled the same way terminals have some credit card brands disabled for one reason or another.