How Apple can keep the Ethernet port and make the MBP thinner

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ds., Jun 4, 2012.

1. ds. macrumors member

HP and Samsung both have laptops in which they use a hinged Ethernet port so they can keep the port and have a thinner machine. This may be one way for Apple to make the next generation if MBPs thinner without removing the Ethernet port.

2. iplaydrums macrumors newbie

I really hope apple keeps the Ethernet port on the new Macbook Pros. The reason is because at my university, the only internet they have in the dorms is wired, by Ethernet, and I don't want to have to get an adapter.

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

They won't, you'll need the USB->Ethernet adapter like MacBook Air owners have to buy.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

right. i don't see them making it hinged or moving it to the back or something. if they make the MBP line thinner and get rid of it the only way will be with an adapter. just my opinion though

5. iplaydrums macrumors newbie

That sucks :(

I don't get why apple is getting rid of everything that people use on laptops :(

I really wish they kept the Optical Drive and Ethernet ports :p

6. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

If they really remove the optical drive, you'll still be able to buy the current generation shortly after the announcement at a discounted price.

7. ppilone macrumors 6502

To be fair, you can't really say "everything that people use". I've had my MBP since 2008 and I've used my Ethernet port once (when I set it up from an old MB).

I ditched my optical drive last year for an SDD and haven't needed it since.

Not saying they should or shouldn't get rid of those things but blanket statements like yours aren't always fair.

8. ds. thread starter macrumors member

Yea I have the same problem. Thinking about getting a MBP for university but they only have Ethernet in the dorm rooms. Apparently kids are able to setup their own wireless routers though, so I might be able to do that. I'd still prefer having an Ethernet port built in as opposed to having to buy an adapter.

9. iplaydrums macrumors newbie

Yeah, I don't want to have to spend even more money on a router after shelling out like 1300 on a MBP :(

I'm actually considering getting a PC because of the loss of the ethernet port :(

10. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

Whats the difference of plug in an adaptor or the old Ethernet wire, they are both wires, it's going to be the same thing :confused:

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think a brand new USB 3 (or Thunderbolt) to Gigabit Ethernet adapter, maybe even included in the box, is more likely than a flip-down Ethernet port.

They did something similar with the ports on the original Macbook Air, and have since (wisely I think) moved away from that.

12. MadTester macrumors regular

MadTester

Is this a cold hard fact? or just one or a few peoples' view on the what the new MBP's are going to look like/built like? :eek:

13. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Basically there are several rumors that point to a thinner Macbook Pro, including one from 9to5Mac who claim to have seen a thinner Macbook Pro case in the supply chain that didn't have room for an Ethernet port.

Since Ethernet is one of the largest ports on the side of the current Macbook Pro, it makes sense that if they make it any thinner then Ethernet may have to go.

I don't think it will be that big of a deal if they sell or include a full speed gigabit ethernet adapter.

14. HardBall macrumors regular

If they do actually remove it; kudos to Apple for following the logical trend in the industry. No one actually NEEDS a ethernet port, given 802.11n now potentially goes upto 600Mbits/s, and there are much higher speed TB (provided you have a high speed SSD external drive) for higher speeds. The speed advantage of Gbit Ethernet over 802.11n is token, and hardly worth it to actually build into the system; adaptor will work fine for the extreme fringe cases where people who are unable to adapt to change.

15. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

I guess you don't actually do any large transfers or I'm guessing you live in a world where your N throughput and signal is perfect?

In my work I know many many many people who still use the Ethernet port and don't even think of it consciously. I'm willing to bet there's quite a large number of people who use the Ethernet port, but they're not tech enthusiasts on these forums and they don't follow rumor sites so they have no idea it might be eliminated.

Just like others have said just because we use Ethernet ports doesn't mean everyone does the same holds true just because you don't use an Ethernet port doesn't mean everyone else does.

If they come out with a thunderbolt adapter then that'll be fine as its not really more cumbersome than just keeping a network cord with the adapter on the end. If they're going to charge a premium for this adapter and not include it though I'll be slightly annoyed.

16. iplaydrums macrumors newbie

Same here. If they're taking something out that most laptops have and many people are accustomed to, then they should at least package it in for free. However, on the Apple website, I saw that they sell one for $30.00 :S

17. HardBall macrumors regular

Not always perfect signal. But the thing is:

1. For vast majority of people, the need to transfer large files is few and far in between.
    2. Wifi signals are not always perfect, but for those times when you actually need it to come close to theoretical throughput, you can make it happen by doing the transfer at the right place, right time, and shutting off unneeded devices in the surrounding.
    3. No matter what, being able be transfer files to an SSD with > 500MByte/s write rate through TB/USB3 (>= 5Gbit/s) is an order of magnitude faster than any networking, unless you are counting TOR switches in networked data centers.

There is no logical reason why a normal user would ever need ethernet, period.

18. mac jones macrumors 68040

The OP is right that really those two options are the best, and for some, only options that will preserve true Gigabit speeds.

But I'd like to test a Thunderbolt to Gigabit adapter, although I much rather not have a conversion link.

19. HardBall macrumors regular

That's exactly the point.

As you said it yourself, people think that they need ethernet because they are "accustomed to" having it, not because of a real need for it.

20. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

You realize the current plug in adapter is not GB ethernet? There is a BIG difference.

21. JordanJ macrumors member

Apple will not want Ethernet floppy parts in their MacBooks.

It is clear that Apple is going away from a wired internet connection.
    Consider iOS, people use Wi-Fi and 3G/4G, not a wired connection.

With 10.7 Lion you could sync to iTunes via Wi-Fi.

I believe Apple would want to remove the ethernet port completely. If users STILL want an ethernet port, they can get a USB dongle or maybe Apple will release a Thunderbolt dongle for the port.

22. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

It's basic reasoning based on the direction they've gone with the MacBook Air and the increasing proliferation of high-speed Wifi, as well as the new 802.11ac spec currently available. It's not rocket science. MBPs will likely lose the optical drive as well (save for the 17" MAYBE). I work in a high end production environment and I have haven't needed an optical drive on my 17" MBP in years so I put a 1TB drive in there instead.

----------

It'll likely be USB 3 or Thunderbolt to address this issue.

23. MadTester macrumors regular

MadTester

MovieCutter,

Hopefully Thunderbolt............:eek:

24. HardBall macrumors regular

Exactly; 802.11n was specifically developed so that people could be weened off their reliance on wired connectivity. It's been 5 years since it's been introduced, and it's about time when people finally moved on from an ancient technology that was developed during the main-frame era; and standardized on a socket that is with an insane size for the number of pins and data transmission rates.

People need to be disabused of the idea that they actually "need" ethernet (or firewire , optical media, express/PC card, compact flash, VGA, the list goes on and on); no one actually does, but a lot of people think that they do based on past habits. It's not a problem with the technology, it's a problem of the willingness of people to try new things, and adopt more efficient paradigms to perform the same tasks in a better way.

25. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Agreed! Perhaps they might release a new Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter to support gigabit ethernet? Will see :D

Most people DO NOT need the port, honestly! Therefore, Apple will not keep it. Wireless is the way to go anyway.

----------

If I were you, I'd definitely get a wireless router, AirPort Express if you can afford. I'd hate all the cables on my desk :)

By getting an AirPort Express, you can connect it to your speaker and play you music wireless from your iOS devices or iTunes ;)