How Apple can make browsing faster

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skeen, Nov 28, 2007.

1. skeen macrumors 6502

For the times we have slower connections, Apple should build in a proxy option, where all the data is transferred through their servers, and images quality is lowered (there should be a setting, low, medium, high quality), and pages are compressed.

This is what Opera Mini does - and it would make browsing significantly faster even in areas where connection speed sucks.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've previously noticed that Orange UK do that already with their data connections, not sure if O2 or any of the other iPhone providers do or not. I would say it should be done at provider (i.e. O2 / ATT / T-Mobile / Orange) level rather than Apple being responsible for it.

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

if you check out your used allocation on the online billing, it never comes up with actual websites that you're browsing, merely "mobile.o2.co.uk" or something similar to that, and it will reflect your real life usage.

Dunno if thats the same thing as you're talking about but I imagine it is, as when viewing facebook pictures over EDGE/GPRS they are very very fuzzy and then the load slowly, not sure if this is a iPhone facebook feature or a o2 network thing.

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

O2 apparently already has such a proxy running - this is what messes up the BBC Podcast page when it works fine over wi-fi.

Phazer

5. tonywob, Nov 28, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Sounds OK but I'd rather have some advanced content filtering preferences instead. Simply not downloading the ads on most pages would dramatically increase load speeds. It also doesn't seem like Safari on iPhone is very aggressive with cacheing, though I have no hard evidence.

7. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I've noticed this as well. I think there is definitely room for improvement, and hopefully it'll come sooner than later :)

8. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Something akin to SafariBlock on desktop Safari would be a boon on iPhone.

9. skeen thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess it's possible they already do this...but not to the extent they could, I think. I'm not sure if O2 discern between data being received for the iPhone, and any other mobile device.

Safari, being a full-blown browser, can have the support for serious page compression that will make browsing speeds significantly faster.