How Apple can make the Rubbish Photo's app Better

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by seble, Aug 3, 2013.

1. seble macrumors 6502a

Personally I think that the iOS 7 Photo App sucks. Especially in the year mode, all those photos gelled together just makes my eyes want to bleed:

[​IMG]

See its just a horrible concoction of miss-matching tiles...

I came up with a simple tweak that would solve it...

[​IMG]

Simply have the pics of that year scroll, and allow the user to flick through them! There much better! Well I think so anyway. Let me know what you guys think...

Made a video too here:

http://youtu.be/F7ICeR6aY60

2. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

Please tell me this has been sent off to Apple?

3. seble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I emailed T.Cook, and have submitted it, so hopefully if others like it and make some noise about it, we might see it happen!

4. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

What would make it better is if they copied the UI from iPhoto and put them in proper user adjustable events, including merging, splitting and naming. And made that and albums sync to computer in iPhoto and at least the events into folders for PC users

5. shenfrey macrumors 68000

I love it! If it doesn't make it, please make a photos app!!

6. Theadamh123 macrumors member

7. seble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good idea actually' I'll see what I can do! ;)

8. Georgij macrumors regular

9. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

I don't see how what you did is better…

The slow scrolling would take forever to go through all the images. Flicking through it isn't very convenient. Just my opinion.

10. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

Far less practical in finding your photo.

Scrolling through a 1,000+ pictures take way too long.

While Apple's approach might not be 'appealing' to the eye (for some) it give the user instant access to a photo (or general idea of where a photo is) instantly.

Usability > Eye Candy

11. seble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ha well I've already submitted a feedback, not too sure about the job thing!

12. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Better than what I could do but I view most of my photos on the iPad and even though I don't use the year feature too often it does work pretty well as u can make out blocks of groups of photos taken at the same time and then just tap to view them full screen.

13. seble thread starter macrumors 6502a

My idea is just for the year view. In ios7 you have a year view and a collections view. When you tap a year it takes you into collections, which is creates itself. Collections I don't have a problem as there less pictures and it's more separated.

Mine is simply to get rid of that horrible year view. You can get a preview of the photos of that year without it being an eye-soar then tap on the year to see all the photos as you do now in a 'collection'

----------

I understand and I agree with you. Which is why my concept only applies to the year vie, tapping n the separate year view would bring you to the 'collections' view where the photos app divides up all the photos of your year into 'collections'

14. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I quite like the current year view. It doesn't 'hurt' my eyes.

15. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Nobody would be really 'using' the Year view .. .its just for Eye candy and your concept doesnt do any better for the basic use of an Year view ...

Scrolling through 2000+ photos in a year and keep flicking to find one ..LoL

16. seble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well that's my point, it's horrible eye candy, and personally i think it's easier to get a highlighted summary of pics you have taken that year. Tapping on a year would take you to the collections view, where all photos are shown in a grid view of that year.

I appreciate where you're coming from too though however.

17. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I personally love the new Photos app, it's really practical and finding photos is very easy. Also the zoom in and out makes sense throughout the entire OS (from your home screen you enter the app and it zooms into years view, then you select a year and it zooms in again to collections, then into moments to finally zoom into the photo you're looking at).

Anyway that's just my opinion, you should try to make your own Photos app if people like it.

18. izzisdashiz macrumors member

19. iHailCaesar macrumors member

Very nice job, I hope they take a look at what you submitted to them. :apple:

20. darngooddesign, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013

darngooddesign macrumors G3

If I have fifty photos in a year I don't want to have to scroll aaaaaaaall the way through all the pics just to get to the end. I want a quicker way to access any photo in the year group.

Or to put it another way, I think I took a photo back in 2011 and I want to find it, why would I want that to be a slower process as opposed to quickly moving my finger around a group of thumbnails from the entire year. The fact that the thumbnails don't match in color doesn't bother me.

21. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

The entire point of the year view is to make it quick to hone in on what you're looking for. Your version makes it completely worthless.

And for the record, I like the new Photo's app.

22. robjulo macrumors 6502a

This thread made me think about this feature a bit. Who is going to have several years worth of photos stored on their phone without running out of space?

23. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

That's a very good point. I store all of my pictures in Dropbox. I clear out the camera roll frequently. Now, if the photos app were able to link to a folder in Dropbox, that would be really useful.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

On my 64GB Mini, I have a little over 4100 photos spanning from 1936 (family photos) to present and its only around 10GB. I'm not always around wifi so relying on a cloud solution would kill my data plan since those are full res images.