Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sound like a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters

JWest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
So I was thinking, if Apple were to add a matte screen (which they SHOULD if they were actually making what the people want) to the MBP, how would they do it with that glass there? Here's an idea: instead of glass, make the black border out of black anodized aluminum (like the black iPods) and then make the screen matte. It wouldn't be one flush surface, but it would still look cool, and it would give us the option for a matte screen. Sound good?

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
This sounds like quite a change to the Manufacturing process, maybe apple doesn't wan to mess with it too much right now. Besides I think many people like Glossy.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Honestly, this is so overblown. The glossy finish on the display simply makes it look better for 98% of notebook usage. If you are a magazine publisher, you are using a desktop system to begin with, or hooking the laptop up to an external display. I would imagine very few professionals are using a Macbook Pro for mission critical publishing tasks from start to finish without any other system.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Honestly, this is so overblown. The glossy finish on the display simply makes it look better for 98% of notebook usage. If you are a magazine publisher, you are using a desktop system to begin with, or hooking the laptop up to an external display. I would imagine very few professionals are using a Macbook Pro for mission critical publishing tasks from start to finish without any other system.

Here at a *newspaper*, all of the photographers and the Web dude have MBPs. They have matte MBPs. If you think it's so not a problem, pretend like Apple decided to not make glossy monitors any more and then gauge your reaction. Apple's line is "think different," not "think stupid."

redmeister

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
in the q&a their answers makes it sound like you're just wishful thinking.

maybe if it gets enough negative feedback they'd offer it later down the road though

Rogue68

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008

Sorry, no.

All the designers, journalists, tv professionals, film editors, photographers and SFX wizards in the world are not going to rush out and plaster their $3000+ systems with a piece of sticky backed plastic that fogs things up because Apple flunked.

They're most likely going to carry on using what they've got til Apple sorts it out or, if the worst comes to the worst, reluctantly move brands.

The high end MB and MBP are not the ipod or iphone. To some of us they're serious pieces of kit and we use them for serious business.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
The part about all this I don't understand is why some people seem against the OPTION of matte screens. I mean really, a poll where Apple could add matte as an option and people vote against it?!? No one is saying all MBPs should be matte, we only want an option to have it. Whats it to you if someone wants a different screen?

snapper07

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I'm a photographer and the glossy screens are totally unusable! I've got a g5 and a apple monitor for in the studio and i use my mbp for location jobs and thats when you need the matte screen the most as you can't control the environment to get rid of the reflections!

I've got a mate who is a fellow snapper and was about to get a new laptop and is freaking out about the 15" glossy screen it's going to cause loads of headaches!

Nice of apple to start disregarding us pro users the very same people that where supporting them 10 years ago when they weren't as popular as they are now!!

phew rant over :D:D

Ta

blSwagger

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
I want a matte screen!

I am a semi-professional photographer and process ALL my RAW files in Lightroom. I bought a fully loaded 24" iMac in May when it was upgraded but the left side of the screen was twice as bright as the right, so I had to return it. I could have exchanged it for a new one, but I hated the reflection so much I decided to just get a full refund and wait for Montevina in the new MBP.

I was devestated when I found out that not only was the 17" not updated, but now every new MBP has a glossy screen. I just cannot deal with seeing myself while editing a photo. If you were watching the live blog from the media event on the 14th, you would know that Apple's solution to the reflections is to make the screens brighter. Great, so not only am I going to lose color accuracy, but my pictures on the screen are going to be a full stop brighter than everyone else's PC (not to mention a printed picture).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a 17" quad core with matte screen in January.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I got used to the glossy on my Blackbook. It shouldn't be a deal-breaker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.