How Apple could bring Back the Aluminum Backing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andrew K., Dec 27, 2008.

1. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

So I was thinking how many of us wished our iPhone 3Gs were as sturdy as the Aluminum 1st gen one and I thought that they could keep the curved look ( maybe thinner ) and have a Black glossy apple logo ( plastic ) and have the wifi antenna hidden behind it :) which would mach the new macbooks and iMacs. It may or may not be feasible but just a thought on how to keep the aluminum back with out the big black bottom end cap. Could someone photoshop this? Any other thoughts on how they could potentially do it?

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If the unscientific test I had is widespread, they won't bring it back. The 3G phone got a much better signal inside a mall than my EDGE phone did. I think it was 2 bars vs. 5 bars. While I love the aluminum look, I doubt Apple will use it if the signal strength is that much better just based on the case material.

I just wish Apple would fix the fugly white phone. They literally took a black phone and just popped a white back on it. If yer gonna have a white phone, have a white phone.

3. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

I suppose this could be the reason this phone has better signal strength now with a plastic back.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The plastic looks better, has better reception, and is more durable.

5. svndmvn Guest

they would have to redesign the chip, ok, they can probably do that now because they have the companies designing small chips..but I think they'd have to put the phone antennas,gps,BT all under the apple..not that easy.

6. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

They should not bring it back, the current design looks good.

7. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i like the aluminum back more. i wish i could of gotten one when apple was selling the refurbs. the only time i use 3g is when im out in the car or soemthing. otherwise im on edge + wifi.

8. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I don't think the plastic looks better at all, it looks and feels cheaper. But, to each his own.

9. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Actually, I think most people would agree with you. Metal DEFINITELY looks better. ;)

10. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Im still sporting old school 1gen and it's cool, but everyone is right. Reception isn't as good and in general it scratches up easy, especially that black bottom. I had mine in a case since i had a swap out and the black area is still scratched, cant win hehe

11. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Honestly, it's hard for me to find a place that I'm not getting five bars.

12. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Your a lucky duck, still no 3G up in Orange County, NY :(

13. camarobh macrumors 6502

Prefer the plastic

I have both 3G and original iPhones in my house, and while I was originally concerned about the plastic back on the 3G, I now prefer it. It feels better in my hand, it looks better, and doesn't feel cheap at all.

14. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

I do not know why exactly Apple went with the plastic/ceramic (?) back - cost or reception - but Nokia seem to have no problem at all with the E71 with the aluminium back and outstanding RF performance.

15. iSovereign macrumors newbie

exactly... ive used the E71 and is amazing. but i do like the iphone OS and interface a lot more.

16. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

Wish I had that problem! :D

17. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

more durable? that's gotta be a joke. do a search on all of the cracked plastic backs of the 3G iPhones. Also I know a couple people who had a car run over their original iPhone and it still continued to work--one truck driver was famous for this exact incident happening to him. If a car were to run over a plastic iPhone the results, I'm sure, would be very different.

That said I doubt Apple is going back to aluminum anytime soon. The signal strength and wifi reception is much better on the 3G, not to mention that they have to fit a GPS in there too now.

It's a shame, aluminum looks way better.

One option would probably be putting the antennas more towards the bottom half and top half of the phone, make the bezel thicker and make it a rubberized plastic instead of chrome... but I still think the results of the current phone would be stronger.

18. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

The aluminum looks much better than the plastic - although I've taken a bit of a liking towards the color - but there's no way that it'll work with the number of antennas that it has unless you find another way to provide a place for the signals to enter/exit.