How Apple could have been truly innovative with the new MBPs...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Denumerable, Dec 1, 2016.

?

If you came from a Mid-2015 MBP, will you be returning your TB 15"?

1. Yes.

38.1%
  2. No.

61.9%
  1. Denumerable macrumors member

Denumerable

With the introduction of the new, larger, better trackpad, Apple could have allowed the CREATION of custom gestures for UI/OS functions that you want -- even inside of Apps!

I understand that Apple has a lot of pressure to be "innovative" and "revolutionary" but the Touch Bar is such a gimmick! I don't understand how Apple could push USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 so hard and at the same time create fragmentation within the computer keyboard market. As Apple said in their Keynote, the computer keyboard is something that has been standardized for a long time... but I believe it is for a GOOD reason. o_O

Sadly, I will be returning a more beautiful, more modern machine and continue using my Mid-2015 MBP 'til Apple introduces a non-TB version of the 15".

I truly hope that :apple: will offer a non-TB version because I really love everything else about the new MBP! Please give us CHOICE!

PS - A good read for anyone else struggling with the new TB:
    https://medium.com/@trentlapinski/w...ook-pro-and-touch-bar-a9a094af1e0b#.s84kg4h98

2. username: macrumors 6502a

You know it's going to be an awful article when it starts with

"I also usually hate when journalists and the media judge a new Apple product before anyone has actually used it, but..."

And he proceeds to do exactly what he (and everyone else) hates.

3. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

I wouldn't call that a good read. Price comparison is off because you need to compare base models, not the one with upgraded GPU. Surface studio comparison is also meaningless, it's a specific touchscreen desktop with "underpowered" mobile hardware vs. traditional laptop.

He also mentioned a few points of questionable importance, but missed really important issues. Plus a typical critique of touchbar without enough experience with it and points about trackpad vs. touchbar that don't make sense.

rMBP 16" isn't nearly as good of a product for its time compared to the original rMBP (which was revolutionary), but it's better to not waste time reading amateurish opinions. If you want a solid critique, consider mobiletechreview and diglloyd (MPG section).

Have you tried it? I think that feature in fact has truly great potential.

4. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

5. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

Like the way that

Video Editing
    DJ'ing / Music Production
    Graphic Design

are NICHE uses.

Would have thought that for MacBook Pro purchasers then pretty much mainstream target audience!

Also don't see why you need the larger trackpad for the custom gestures, UI/OS functions

6. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

If your existing laptop is only a year old why would you be looking to upgrade it so soon? I really don't get this and it seems to be the main arguing point of most reviews, in reality, even professional users don't upgrade their laptop year-on-year, it's simply not cost effective, our marketing team are running mainly 2012 MBP.

7. Denumerable thread starter macrumors member

Denumerable

Yeah, I've had it for a couple weeks. I'm very sad about it.

I almost upgrade my laptop every year. It became more clear that I needed to return it when I started to justify keeping it by saying, "well, I can still use my magic keyboard and desktop as normal." :(

8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I think Apple did a touch bar better than any other OEM so far, but i'm not convinced that losing physical function keys and switching to a keyboard with low key travel was worth the trade.

9. creamz macrumors member

creamz

I felt the same way when I first use the Macbook keyboard. But I really believe u must try on the new MBP keyboard. Physically the same but you'll be amazed and because of the low key travel and better stability I actually type faster.

10. David58117 macrumors 65816

11. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

There are very few situations where I would even consider upgrading after 1 year:
    A: got a lemon and only repairs instead of a replacement.
    B: bought a very flawed generation and next year's model fixed all flaws.
    C: bought last model before a redesign and redesign is a total bomb with double the battery, 50% better real world performance or something.

A and B would be Apple's fault and I'm 80% sure they would find a solution when addressing them the right way, without making me lose hundreds of Euros.
    C doesn't seem likely anymore. Every Apple product leaks ahead of time anyway so I would be prepared to not buy last gen. And even if there aren't any leaks and the new model comes right out of nowhere, it won't be that much better, because technology isn't advancing as fast as it used to do.

12. motime macrumors 6502

Why on earth would you upgrade from 2015? Wait it out a year or two. I am a first time Mac user and I opted for 2015 because it is far better value. I just wish I had purchased a 2015 model last year instead of hoping Apple would release something worthwhile after such a long wait. I couldn't have imagined the upgrade would be so underwhelming. It sucks even more because the 2015 models are the same price as last year, but it is what it is.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

Why bother upgrading a perfectly good laptop for one that gets only a few percentage points higher performance in artificial benchmarks? In real world use I don't think you would notice the speed increase even with a gun pointed at the back of your head.

14. Denumerable thread starter macrumors member

Denumerable

Why wouldn't I upgrade every year? Even if it is a minor difference, after selling my old machine it's usually less than $1k to upgrade...

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

Unless you're making that $1k back through the milliseconds you saved at each operation you're paid to do on that machine inside of said year, you've wasted $1k that could've gone elsewhere, IMHO.

To each his own, I upgrade when the computer can no longer do the work I ask it in the time I want it done.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Regardless of who makes the computer year to year changes are typically incremental and most people usually don't buy their laptops annually.

I think on a number of fronts, the 2016 is innovative, it may not be the type of innovation you wanted but it is innovative in the purest sense of the word. For example, the Touch bar is a bold move, and took a lot of innovating. Its a gamble, because they're opting to go that route, instead of touch screen. I think it may be more gimmicky then fully useful, but it is innovative in terms of how it was implemented.

17. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Apple didn't innovate, people complain
    Apple innovated, people complain

It's tough being Apple.

On the other hand, just get use to touch bar as it'll appear in all macs witnin a year or 2