How Apple knows that I am student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sydney.oh, Aug 1, 2008.

1. sydney.oh macrumors newbie

I am not a USA student, but I would like to use the stedents rebate. I found out, that when filing in the rebate online, there is no field asking me about my students info. So how can apple find out that I am student or not?

2. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

I've never applied for one, but I thought they required some sort of school ID.

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Apple audits education purchases made online. I'm not sure if it's random or if things can be flagged. (But I'm guessing, if you're not "a USA student", that shipping a mac out of the country on a US education discount is bound to raise some flags).

PS: don't ruin the discount for the rest of us.

4. iOrlando macrumors 68000

needs to be a U.S. College. Student/Teacher/Staff

5. sydney.oh thread starter macrumors newbie

I am in usa only for this summer, I study in europe. I just wanted to know what are the apple's methotd to verify that the person applying for rebate is realy student, because when submiting rebate online, they don't wanna know any student ID or university... Even in my Apple ID I cannot fill in any information like that.

6. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

so many threads on this search the forums

7. tri3limited macrumors 6502

well this is an interesting one.

im a uk student who finished my course in june however my NUS card (national union of students) that entitles me to my discount expires on the 1st of september. i paid a membership fee for this so am i therefore allowed to purchase as a student despite having finished my course?

as far as i'm aware this is the case as my student card is still accepted on amazon and they are aware i have finished the course but still have my valid NUS membership.

8. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

The United States federal government funds this discount system, and that is why the discount is only applied to U.S. schools.

9. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Just in case this was for me, im a uk student in the uk using a uk education discount. Hopefully this clarifies a few things if you were thinking otherwise.

I'm looking at the 3.06 iMac for the last week of August

10. 514Mac macrumors newbie

The government does not fund Apple's Student Discount; for any country the student discount is offered in. If you're educational institution offers a special on Apple computers, that's a different story, but the "student discount" offered at Apple Stores is not funded by the government or any educational institution.

It's simply a promotional tool to drive more sales.

Some people are very uptight and will make statements like "don't scam the system" and things of that nature - but really, Apple (USA, Canada, UK, etc) could care less if you're a student or not. As long as sales are being made and more people are converting over to their systems, that's the main objective.

Apple has been making moves to win over students and enter the realms of education. More agreements are being made between Apple and several universities to offer content to iTunes U and a discount packaged as a student discount is a perfect companion and strategy to target more students.

Apple won't ask you for your student information and they will not "audit" these purchases.

There's nothing to feel guilty about requesting the student discount even if you're not a student. It's a promotional strategy to drive more sales. Believe me, the company would more than happy to accept your business by offering you a discount rather than having you feel excluded from any sales and purchasing from a competitor.

End of story: It's not funded or subsidized by anybody and they won't check (because they don't care if you're really a student or not). If you want to buy one with the student discount, go for it. Don't allow others' paranoia make you feel guilty.

11. oliverlubin macrumors regular

ignore the ultra-patriotic idiocy above. go to an apple store near by and bring you student ID. just ask if will qualify for an discount since you're studying at X school this summer. worth a shot.

12. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

13. sydney.oh thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks for replies. My intention is not to "sacam the system" actually I thing that apple doesn't care much if I am or I am not a student. I am working in US during this summer and just want to buy MB as cheep as possible of course. I also have some friends who study in US so they can buy it for me, but buying it myself would be definitely less complicated. I will go to the apple store and ask someone there because I am interested what they're gonna tell me.

14. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

My experience here in the USA at the Apple Store is I needed to show them a student ID or a letter from the College or University stating I was going to the school in the fall. I do not however, know what is needed if you live in the UK!

15. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I agree with you 100%~!

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

And I disagree 100%

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

17. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Oh really...

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespoliciesEdIndividual.html

18. 514Mac macrumors newbie

Befriend a Marketing Manager at Apple and ask them about the Student Discount. Make sure to specify that you're asking about the discount offered at Apple Stores and not at an Apple Authorized Campus Store.

Or if your "within the walls", ask a Business Affairs Manager there.

Don't worry.. I'll wait.

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Tell the person ringing you out at the Apple Store that you don't have a Student ID or letter, and in fact you are not a student... but to go ahead and give you the discount and the iPod anyway because Steve doesn't really care and see what they say.

Don't worry, the people in line behind you will wait

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

20. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

All I'm saying is don't go around saying that they won't audit because it clearly states in the terms that they can and will.

I'm sure Apple will offer a discount if you ask. Just like any store will if you go in and say, "I'm really interested in this, but it's out of my price range, can you help me out? I know students get this price. etc. etc."

Just don't game the system that's all. Learn to bargain like the rest of us. :)

21. 514Mac macrumors newbie

Crazy guess you work a tech job, and not advertising, marketing, sales or business affairs.

I'm not attacking your opinion, as we're all entitled to one, but not all the information we see everyday is set in stone.

Instead of trying to prove me wrong, just keep an open mind and realize not everything is as technical as it may seem.

22. 514Mac macrumors newbie

Definitely. I don't think anybody should try and game the system. I don't believe getting the student discount as a non-student falls under that category, but I certainly agree with what you're saying.

I'm just trying to help out the OP so they don't get scared from other's paranoia or misunderstandings.

Like you said; if the OP bargains right and they'll end up offering him/her better discounts than he/she anticipated.

23. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

In Canada, they require your student id to get into the online store, the US is a little lack, they would probably give you the discount if you said you went to the school of hard knocks:D

24. lag1090 macrumors 6502

Where'd you get that idea from? The U.S. Government has no business subsidizing private computer purchases.

The only thing the Feds offer that's even remotely close to student computer discounts is tuition financial aid.

Please don't make claims like that, unless of course you can provide a source to support it.

25. sydney.oh thread starter macrumors newbie

Conclusion

So I am writing again to share my experience. I went to the Apple store and told the guy that I want to buy MB and Touch with that rebate, he asked me for some student ID so I showed him my Czech ISIC students card, he looked at it and found out that I don't study in US so he couldn't sell me what I wanted.
    I decided to go to another Apple store and try my luck somewhere else. In that other store apple guy also asked me for students ID so i showed him again my ISIC, this time he didn't read much of the facts on it, he probably saw that it is a students card and that's all, so he sold me what i wanted.
    Later that day I submitted rebate online and the rebate check came within a week.

So if you want to use that student discount you actually don't have to be a US student because Apple don't need to know any school/university info. If you shop online you are not even asked for Student ID or letter.