Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cinnabun814

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 2, 2018
I'm looking at eventually getting a gaming notebook and i've been looking at alienware. I understand they're overpriced but i'm just wondering how they are. I don't have room for a desktop computer.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm looking at eventually getting a gaming notebook and i've been looking at alienware. I understand they're overpriced but i'm just wondering how they are. I don't have room for a desktop computer.
Alienware is a ton of money to spend. They're good machines (even though some suggest they haven't been the same since their acquisition by Dell.

It will more than get the job done, but it will definitely be pricey.

Reactions: S.B.G

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've wanted an Alienware long since before Dell acquired them. I never did get a pre-Dell Alienware machine though - sad.

However, I do have a desktop X51 R3 and while not a laptop as the OP is looking for, I can say that it is a quality machine. I've had it for like 4 years I think and it runs great.

It's a little silly, but I really don't play games anymore except exceedingly rarely. I use it as a general use PC these days and have MX Linux on it.

But I think the brand, Alienware, is still a solid buy, a little pricey, but so are Macs.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
They are solid computers from what I've seen. Just clunky and pricey.

Take a look at MSI though. I've liked the one I setup for a client. Much more solid than the average laptop great prices for them Newegg.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've wanted an Alienware long since before Dell acquired them. I never did get a pre-Dell Alienware machine though - sad.
They are sill independent, They never were fully adsorbed into Dell, they maintain their own designers and offices. The design language between the two are markedly different, and if you wanted a alienware, I don't think its a bad move.

I agree with @velocityg4 in that they look clunky and there are imo better looking machines out there on the market - that's just my $.02

Reactions: S.B.G

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
They are sill independent, They never were fully adsorbed into Dell, they maintain their own designers and offices.
That's true. However, there are influences of Dell within the product when you buy one. They slipstream some of their apps like the Dell driver update thingy and a few other things into Windows. If one needs support we have to call Dell, though they do have a sort of dedicated support area for Alienware products.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Whilst our attempts with Alienware eventually failed in the end I cannot fault their customer service which in our 2 scenarios even puts Apple support to shame

We received exemplary telephone and diagnostic support

We had numerous home call outs where major components were replaced insitu

We received one rebate with a 15% discount voucher and a $300 coupon on next purchase

We received one full refund including the previous discount and coupon price 18 months after purchase

We did not have to fight or argue this was all offered with out a fuss

My youngest is now using my old SP4 and taking a break from gaming :)

Would I buy another ? possibly or a Razer as they look a bit more normal :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.