How are App Updates being Handled

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by Scarpad, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Will they update automatically or will it be handled like updates on the Ipad/Iphone?

2. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Great question - I sort of like manual updates so I can read release notes, but I don't see an "Updates" tab anywhere. Did I miss it?

3. frankdogg macrumors regular

frankdogg

I'm not sure how the updating process works. I initially had "auto updating" off, but turn it on last night and woke up to an updated "Watch ESPN" app.

4. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

eh - yeah, that's exactly what I don't like (I know, I'm weird). I like to do the updating so I can know if they fixed a particular issue and/or know what has changed.

5. frankdogg macrumors regular

frankdogg

yeah i like knowing there's an update, reading about and updating myself. There's something about knowing updates are available...makes me feel like they care. =)

6. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Go into settings and into the apps section and you can disable auto updates there.

Then when there's an update available you can do it from the apps page. The download icon changes to update.

7. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

For each app or is there a new tab that just shows apps that need updates?

8. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

According to the Apple user guide:

If Automatically Update Apps is disabled, you can select any app in the App Store to check if an update is available and manually update there.

Bit crap if you ask me, think I'll stick with Automatic Updates, it's easier.

9. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

That's ridiculous. How can we have an "updates" tab on a tiny little phone but have no room for the same thing on a huge TV. What a joke.

10. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

That it is. Hopefully it's one more of the (many) irritating little things they iron out in the os updates.

11. Scarpad thread starter macrumors 68000

Scarpad

yeah it really seems like they didn't put a lot of thought into the device given the amount of time they had

12. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

It's never easy, in fact it's impossible, to get everything right for the first release of software. But there are a few things in TvOS that I'm surprised didn't make the cut for the launch. Particularly, as you say, with the amount of time they had to refine it.

13. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Wonder how much thought it takes to move the podcast app to the new one, if that is such a brain teaser i am not confident in the rest of the problems being fixed soon

14. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Well it'll likely be getting remade from the ground up, not that that's much of an excuse for it not being there at launch.

15. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Well, I'll just do an update check on the first of every month I guess. :rolleyes: