All iPads How are big iPads better than mini iPads?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by printz, Feb 18, 2014.

1. printz macrumors regular

The iPad mini is just a version with smaller size, but otherwise it has the same logical resolution and same apps. It's not like in the Android world where if you buy a tablet too small you risk running glorified phone apps on the 7" screen. It's the whole deal.

So what can I gain, other than physical size, if I buy a full iPad? Seems like the mini is a winner deal.

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    If you eliminate "physical size" from considerations, there's not much to say.

Otherwise, cue a multitude of responses like: a 20" HDTV has the exact same resolution as a big screen HDTV, so what's to gain in buying a bigger screen. Or, you can watch a movie on a huge screen at your local cinema or on an iPhone screen, so what's to gain? And on and on.

The big gain is the physical screen size, which then comes with more than just a bigger screen to see, but also more space between keys on the keyboard when typing and all similarly-beneficial benefits of having iOS running on a more spacious screen.

3. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Some people just like the larger screen. That's all it comes down to. The specs are the exact same between the two, and I personally prefer the smaller size, but some enjoy more screen size for watching videos and whatnot. There's no objective benefit of one versus the other. Do you want it to fit in a jacket pocket, or do you want a big screen? That's it.

4. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

If you use your iPad to watch movies on with your girlfriend in bed, using MovieBox. Then the bigger iPad is definitely better. The mini just didn't cut it for me somehow.

5. printz thread starter macrumors regular

Is remote desktop large work space one of these benefits? So I can use my big iPad (if I get one) to control my home PC, without staring at a very small screen.

6. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

That is something that would definitely be more effective on the larger iPad.

7. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

A larger screen has larger text; an especially important feature if you're reading magazines or newspapers that can't be zoomed in on. My iPad 4 sat in a desk after I bought a Mini 1, but now my Air goes everywhere, and the Mini is long gone....including the rMini.

Movies are better as well, and the Air's speakers have more volume. Let's see...easier to type on larger keypad, less tempted to use it for taking pics ( :D ), pics are more easily viewed on larger screen, etc.

8. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

You could do the remote desktop on your mini just as well. The full size iPad just offer more space. YOU must decide if smaller and lighter is a priority over a little larger screen.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

How are big iPads better than mini iPads?

They are bigger!
    I have an iPhone and an iPad. For me an iPad mini is just a middle ground. Not as portable an an iPhone, but not big enough for web browsing or some games.

10. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Larger screen lets your touch be more precise not to mention the brighter, more vibrant screen of the Air.

Get the best of both worlds, buy both, I did.

11. jtara macrumors 65816

It's bigger.

And that's exactly the point.

iPad Mini is an economical choice if the physical screen size is suitable for your use.

Not so good if you need to share with others, have trouble reading small characters, etc.

12. SwingOnThis macrumors regular

Definitely don't want to get caught with a mini when in bed w/ your girlfriend

13. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

:D ha!

14. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

Nailed it

15. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It isn't really a matter of better. It is more so a matter of what is best for each individual's use.

16. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

17. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I don't see either as better than the other, it just all has to do about preference. Me, personally, I don't like big tablets which is why I'm glad Apple has released a mini version. Tons of people love the bigger iPads for the bigger screen while there are ton others that prefer the smaller screen. Both iPads are good devices and Apple now gives us a choice on whether or not we want a bigger screen or smaller screen for a tablet. It all is based on what the consumer is looking for in that type of device.

18. hologram macrumors 6502

Big iPads are better because I say so. If they're better for me, they must be better for everyone, because everyone is the same, right? :eek:

I hope this answers your question.

19. CEmajr macrumors 601

Haha

20. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Personally, I prefer the larger iPad because I use it a lot for reading.

21. cynics macrumors G3

They are necessary better. Just bigger.

If size was no consideration (which it seems you are hitting on) what makes the Mini better to use then the iPhone?

Apply that answer to your question.

22. David58117 macrumors 65816

I have the air, and I'm kind of jealous of the rmini!

I bought one for my girlfriend, and it seems like the ideal ereader.

It much more comfortable to read and relax with, while the air is a bit bulky.

23. Rodster macrumors 68040

I tried an rMini and I prefer the full size iPad. So I returned the rMini.

24. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

As others have said, it all depends upon how you will use your device.

In addition to all of the above, here are two more benefits that I have found using a full-sized iPad:

- More enjoyable comic/magazine/catalog reading. I have a bazillion cbz/cbr files of vintage comic books, magazines, and catalogs. They are easily readable on the iPad without zooming, whereas zooming is necessary on the mini.

- Usable keyboard cover. If you plan on using a keyboard cover (I frequently switch between a smart cover and the Logitech ultrathin keyboard cover), then the larger iPad results in a larger keyboard that is easier to type on.

25. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Ghehe, good one.