How are college students getting hecka discounts on Apple products?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryuukumori, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I have seen on this forum many college students they can pick up things like Apple Care and (cough...) Vista for like $5 in some places. (I'm looking for these sources as I type this).

I also noticed some threads like this one, that the OP got a 2.4 GHZ MBP for under $2k!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=440360

Even at the normal edu discounts on the Apple website, you still have to pay over $2k for that! He claims he got all this (without tax), the MBP, a printer, Apple Care, and all!!! Microsoft products and software also come cheap. What the heck?

So for all you college- goers. I am going to college in the next year, and I need to know how you can get these things so cheap! Unless they are targeted in specific areas, let me know. I am in Seattle, Washington. Thanks for any help.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i go to college and i dont get the massive discounts you are describing

at my school we just get stuff at edu prices although i was able to leopard for 80 through my bookstore

3. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

These sales are different from school to school. Each school has their own.. computer department, most likely a bookstore, that sells computer hardware at a discounted price. Sometimes there will be a sale at which you could technically get a MBP for cheaper than what the apple store offers. Currently right now, at SFSU, there is a deal that if you buy any mac (at the student price) you will get a $100 Gift card to the bookstore for your textbooks. Now that sale hella sucks cuz I got all my books for cheaper on amazon but its something more than apple's discount.

Best way to check what kind of discounts you have is on your schools bookstore website. Or you can just go to the school and check yourself. They'll prolly have signs displaying the sale if there are any.

That previous poster got an excellent deal on MBP. I wish my school had something like that.

-JoE

4. DaveF macrumors 6502a

It depends on the school. Apple, Microsoft, and many other major vendors have education discounts for all matriculated students. But some schools have special agreements. For some years, Indiana University (IU) sold Microsoft software for $5 per CD. I have no idea if this is still the case.

You need to check with your college's computer or bookstore to see what there specific prices are. For Apple, in the lower right of the Store page, there's an Education link that will find your school's edu discount.

It's not just college either. I get a modest, but helpful, corporate discount.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

and some colleges within the university get deals

i know for engineering, students get free copies of xp,xp64,vista, project,visio,etc

just not office unfortunately

but still nice to have

6. Jecko024 macrumors member

Jecko024

I dont know, bout apple stuff, but as for microsoft software, many schools in Washington (UW and Tacoma Community College I know for sure) are a part of a program and I get software for really cheap as a student. What you do is go to your school bookstore and ask for whatever your looking for, if they have it they'll sell it to ya, if not, then they'll give you a dumbfound look like "wth are you talkin bout" and then you'll know :) However, I haven't heard of apple products being sold at the schools for dirt cheap......so I don't know bout that.

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Student ADC membership is a good way to go to get a significantly discounted machine.

8. cmm26red macrumors regular

Through my schools Apple store (i.e. on Campus). I attend a major 25K + university (in the States) and they were having a clearance on MBPs. The MBP and Applecare came as a bundle and they were also giving away a free printer to anyone who purchased an Apple computer. The sale had been going on for a few weeks and I periodically checked to see their shelf of over a dozen MBPs dwindle to just a few this past week. I called Friday afternoon to see what stock they had left, and confirm they still were on sale. Turns out, they had 1 MBP left (the one I purchased) and the sale was good until it sold. My notebook came with Tiger, however, they included a copy of Leopard as part of the bundle. That may be why it was discounted. Furthermore, I asked them if they had anymore on order and was told that they would not be ordering anymore MBPs till mid-march and that this past sale was just a way of clearing out there inventory for the 3rd quarter. I found this odd, as they had several Macbooks on the back shelf as well as Imacs and all other things Apple, but who cares, I could wait no longer.

My school sells the student license version of Vista Business for 75.95 and Office 2007 Enterprise for 92.95. Check with your school, if you are a student, because I think this is the standard price for the student license version of these programs. The Office 2007 Enterprise package is a great deal considering that it would retail for over 500 if they released it through those means, but since it is only available in volume licensing, academic or corporate is the only way to get it.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because the computer is subsidised by the insane tuition costs.

Also with software companies like MS know that students pirate so they give them a really good price. I got Office Ultimate 2007 for £40 on such a deal.

10. cmm26red macrumors regular

You need to reread my post dude. I stated that I got the computer, Applecare and the printer for under 2K. After tax it was 21something. I also purchased the Microsoft crap in addition to my computer purchase. Get your facts straight before you make a post about me, please!

11. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I know. But you gotta reread my post a little better, cause I mentioned without tax! I can always assume tax would bring it over $2k, but if you get that initially under $2k, that's a very, very good deal! And with the Microsoft addition, I wasn't directing it to you personally, I added to the fact that colleges have those for very cheap as well. I apologize ahead of time if I caused confusion.

I edited my post to clearly show you didn't buy the Microsoft products under $2k. Hope that helps.

12. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I used to work at a major research university that has some of the schools on campus that are Mac-centric, mine being one of them. We got hardware for cheap, as the university subsidized the cost and/or negotiated quantity deals with Apple. Last year we started the iTunesU thing and they really ramped things up.

We typically had three levels of hardware, for example, a white MacBook (basic) a black MacBook (midrange) and 15" MBP (high end). I don't recall the specifics, but the 15" MBPs were running a little under $2k fully loaded (4G RAM, SuperDrive, iWork, MS Office, QuickTime Pro, AppleCare, and a number of other education related titles like Inspiration, etc.) You couldn't buy one unless you were a junior or lower, and they gave you four semesters to pay for it, which cost you $100 in carrying fees.

As for software, we were allowed to buy licenses for Vista Deluxe/Elite, whatever (the top tier Vista) for $28.00. One a year per student.

Oh, and the campus computer store also sold HPs and Dells for the PC folks.

MacDann

13. duykur macrumors regular

those people buy their macbooks and other software through the school which gives additional discount. some schools may not do this though.

14. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Yea I'll be using my ADC Student Discount on the soon-to-be-released MBP.

High-end 17" MBP goes from $2,799.00 to $2,230.00

(+$99 for ADC membership, but still, you can't beat it)

15. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

at my school, if you are a ICS or CS major, you get a free copy of vista (for use in programming).

Also, my school sells leopard for 80. But its sister school sells it for 70. Price difference is kinda weird, but oh well.

16. puke macrumors regular

I'm from Sweden and as a normal student discount I get 10% off off everything in Applestore. Altho, I'm soon starting University / College and then I've heard that the discount gets alot lower depending on which school youre going.

17. bamaworks macrumors 6502

I really don't know how it works because software here at EKU gives really random deals. I just got Office 2008:Mac for $35. Awesome deal if you ask me, and I can't complain! They just advertised it and I went to the campus tech store. The only option you have, I feel, is just hope to get lucky and have an awesome on campus dealer.

18. Skullk macrumors newbie

Skullk

My answer is to never use the word hecka/hella ever again.

Fail.

19. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Nice contribution to the discussion. :rolleyes:

20. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

It depends on the school, really.

Unfortunately, there are too many PC users at my school for me to get any really good discounts on Mac products here. Leopard cost me more than twice what Vista would have, and the educational discount on my MacBook was just the normal $100 or 200 off. Oh well. Still worth it to be rid of the headache that Vista would have been.

21. ClemTiger0408 macrumors 6502

My school gets Apple Care 3 years for free. Its just something that my specific school worked out with Apple. We also have fully certified Mac technicians who can do hardware repairs so we don't even have to send them in.

We have a special link that gives us these deals.

22. bmms8 macrumors 68020

not sure if this was said, but apple has a $100 discount for most colleges i believe. they also offered a free ipod and printer, something they do once a year i believe. i took this deal and after selling the ipod, keeping the free printer and buying 2 gigs of ram from newegg, the total was about $1020 with tax and everything for a 2.0 c2d.

23. zeiter macrumors 6502

my student bookstore currently has an awesome deal.

Macbook 2.2ghz with the super drive for CDN$1139.
    When I check apple's site (canada), it's still 1449 or 1349 with the student discount ($100 off).

sucks i graduated in december :(

Is it possible that a friend buys it for me and puts my name as the owner instead and still receive the rebate?

24. m1stake macrumors 68000

My dad does consulting for colleges, and has access to their education stores. XP, Vista, Office, computers, the discounts are much lower than the apple edu store.

25. dbernie41 macrumors regular

I am at a large university in the states and I get no extra discount on hardware but software is much more affordable. Logic Studio - 149. CS3 Design Premium - 299 are just some examples.