how are CTO macbook pros assembled? by hand or machine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xjames, Apr 26, 2010.

1. xjames macrumors regular

Anyone knows?

I was wondering how macbook pros are assembled. Obviously it's machine-made up to a point. But what about hard drive options, memory options, screen options? Is there a guy putting on ram modules? A guy who after a grueling week is tired and sweaty and makes mistakes? lol

still waiting for my CTO 15" i7 2.66GHz 8GB hi-rez anti-glare 500GB 7200rpm can't wait to fall in love with a new mac all over again to ship...

2. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I would assume that most CTO options are done right on the assembly line these days. Honestly, I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case.

I was watching a video a few days ago showing one of Chrysler's car factories - they make chargers, 300s, and challengers on the same assembly line at the same time. While some things about those cars are somewhat similar, there's a lot that's different.

With proper coordination I don't see why they couldn't throw other machines into the mix at Apple's production lines.

As for manufacturing mistakes, I've never heard of someone slipping the wrong screen in a laptop before but I'm sure it happens. If you got a Friday build? That happens too.

Reminds me of when the first iMac G4s came out, some had the Apple logo in weird places lol.

3. Passenger88 macrumors member

Passenger88

I was wondering about this to for the Antiglare screens.
    I thought that they would make the Antiglare with a machine, but because of the waiting time I quess they do it manually.

4. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I read an article in one of my trade pubs that showed Apple's assembly process for the first gen Unibody MBP's. They showed a lot of hand fitting on the assembly line, although packaging and several other steps were automated.

Apple....because Caucasians are just too damn tall.

5. xjames thread starter macrumors regular

lol. I can imagine the guy opening the box, starring and thinking "wtf?"

Interesting. Makes sense that some steps would be better done by a human... But maybe the customization process is mostly automated.. who knows.