How are custom designs made?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by aFuBilly, Nov 18, 2011.

1. aFuBilly, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

aFuBilly macrumors newbie

How do people make designs like below? Do they use a certain program?
    I drew a design and wanted to put it online for my own logo/avatar, making it turn out like sumthin below.

[​IMG]

2. kevinfulton.ca macrumors 6502

That one was most likely done in Illustrator or some other vector based design application. However, Illustrator is very expensive so I'd Google "Illustrator Alternative" which should give you plenty of results. Pixelmator has SOME vector capabilities and will probably do everything you need it to do for around $30.00. Hope that helps!

3. aFuBilly thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks and it really does help to know that illustrator does the job. All of the adobe softwares are all expensive... I want photoshop cs5.

4. SAdProZ macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

The artist probably sketched it, scanned it, imported it into Adobe Photoshop to bump the contrast or clean it up. Then imported it into Adobe Illustrator and drew over the sketch using the pen and brush tools, then filled in the shapes with color (like the hair or skin). After exporting the file you can send it to a printer to print the shirt. Check out Zazzle.com for printing custom designed shirts.

By the way, GIMP is a free Adobe Photoshop alternative. Inkscape is a free Adobe Illustrator alternative. Although there are more alternatives in existence, please google around.

Good luck!