how are hyou all getting replacement imacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Theraker007, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Theraker007 macrumors regular

ive called 3 times now and they refuse to acknowledge the problem or offer me a replacement for my crashing 4850.

the best ive been able to do so far is to get them to make me a genius bar appointment, which im almost inclined to cancel cuz i dont feel like taking my iMac apart, carrying it through the mall and sitting there wasting 2 hrs of my day when i know what the resolute is going to be.

2. Jammers macrumors member

Are you within your 14 day return? If so just tell them you want a replacement over the phone.

My second replacement is currently being built..

3. Blair230 macrumors regular

Please provide more info. We need to know exactly what the issue is, how long ago you bought the machine, etc. You state you called three times. Was this three times for three seperate issues or three times (all for the same issue)?

Apple will replace machines if necessary but if it is outside their fourteen day original purchase window they will attempt to repair them first.

4. Theraker007 thread starter macrumors regular

it arrived a week ago thursday so im 9 days in.

the issue is the same crashing problem with the 4850 taht everyone else here is experiencing (i thought i said that). 3 times for the same issue.

5. Poisednoise macrumors regular

In that case it's not a matter of their offering you a replacement, just tell them you want one. Within 14 days of delivery they are legally obliged to replace it.

6. Illicit macrumors 6502

Take it back to the store and they should give you a new one on the spot.

7. avihappy macrumors 6502

avihappy

Err, not "on the spot" because 4850 is BTO option...

8. Blair230 macrumors regular

Like everyone else said Apple should give you a new one if its within 14 days. You should call back and ask to escalate the claim (talk to a supervisor). Explain that its within 14 days and you want a replacement machine. Be polite but firm.

Also this is a moot point since its within 14 days...but how do you know what the outcome would be since you did not feel like bringing it back to the store? In my experience (and I hope with your replacement machine you do not have any issues) any repairs I had to have done by Apple have been fixed well and in a timely manner.

9. Theraker007 thread starter macrumors regular

ok they are going to let me return it and buy a new one (doing it this way so i can keep my imac until the new one arrives and i can transfer everything since i installed windows vista with real serial key on there plus other stuff that woulda been a pain in the ass to get back)

im wondering though, it seems peoples replacements are crashing too.. is this problem going to keep happeing until apple fixes the firmware? is it even worth doing this?

10. The Hammer macrumors regular

There could be some refurbished bargains once they sort this freezing/crashing thing out.

11. Jammers macrumors member

Looks that way as my second doesn't work properly and has a stuck pixel.

Awaiting my third which i suspect will have the same issues.

12. Theraker007 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah abort mission, ill stick tight, this is infuriating considering how much money we all spent on these

13. mrparis macrumors newbie

mrparis

Sorry for noob question, however I'm considering buying one of the new 4850 card imac's and a bit cautious of the freezing issue. So my question is regarding the 14 day return policy.

If I purchase and it contains the fault, I return and get my replacement. Does a new 14 day start when I receive the replacement etc etc. I would like to think so, but you never know with companies now adays, especially in this (sorry to use the term) 'Credit crunch'.

Cheers guys and tnx in advance.
    :D

14. vandeetz macrumors member

I talked to Apple on Friday after troubleshooting it with them for 2 days and they finally agreed to give me a full refund.

I'm going to wait on the sidelines until they get this sorted out, I don't want an expensive paperweight sitting on my desk. Once they get it figured out I'll probably re-order.

15. Sponsi macrumors member

Sponsi

Yes, you get another 14 days to return your replacement if you choose to do so.

16. nss.aries macrumors member

I called Apple Support on April 20th in order to get the replacement imac.
    TNT called on april 22th and we agreed they would have come today. I still haven't received a tracking number for the shipping of the new imac, so I called Apple Support and they told me it will be shipped only when the first imac will be delivered to Apple... I told them I need a computer to work on, so they said they would have accelerated the procedure (?).

Results: I ordered the iMac on March's last week and I will not have a working machine till the middle of May. Hoping that the replacement iMac is not bugged.

P.S. Excuse me for the bad english ;)

17. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

I just received notification that my replacement iMac has shipped. It will arrive on 29-Apr. That was fast considering they received my "bad" one just today as I sent it back last Thursday.