iPad How Are iPad Air Speakers vs iPad 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 53kyle, Nov 3, 2013.

1. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I know the iPad air has stereo speakers, so how do they really compare to the older ones in iPad 2, 3, or 4? Are they any louder or clearer? Is the overall sound better or worse?

2. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

3. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Definitely louder and clear, still suffer from a lack of bass inherent to the design of these speakers.

4. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

The air ones sound better with more bass in my opinion. The stereo effect is nice but you only get it while in portrait mode. Very easy to muffle the sound by covering the left grill with your hand in landscape mode. Wish the speakers were on the sides like other tablets.

5. aimfire macrumors regular

aimfire

Yeah, I found them to have more bass as well. Wasn't expecting that, thought something might be wrong, lol.

6. Beasty34 macrumors member

I find the Air's to be a lot better, less of an afterthought and starting to compete with my retina macbook's speakers.

7. monk fish macrumors member

I'm not sure if there is one that's better or worse.
    Just different
    The iPad 4 had a richer/warmer sound
    The iPad air has better stereo and maybe a little clearer

8. hobx macrumors regular

Think I preferred the four. One thing I don't like is if you pump up the volume to full the Air seems to vibrate. Anyone else experiencing this?

9. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

Yup I am and many others have also mentioned it on this forum.

10. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

Awesome. I think they are hands down the best speakers in any tablet and much better than any previous ipad. Maybe it's the thinness of the air but you can feel the bass and the sound is great too. I'm more and more impressed with the air the more I use it.

11. Lazyboi macrumors newbie

If you cup your hands around the Air's speakers to redirect the sound to the front, it sounds okay. Otherwise in landscape mode the sound is too one sided. I never needed to do this for my ipad 3/4... I'm considering buying a case with built-in sound enhancers if and when it comes out for the Air. Or.... Create a custom sound booster...

12. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I gave the 3rd not the 4th but I think the speakers are as good or better.

13. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

Better in my opinion. I wasn't really expecting any improvement, but was pleasantly surprised. It is both louder and fuller. If you play them side by side, you'll notice a significant difference.

14. kikumako macrumors newbie

Speakers of Air (compared to that of the 4th gen): louder, clearer, more stereo, more bass, sounding more like from a boxed speaker. But when you play the smart guitar (or maybe other instruments) on GaragaBand with volume set to the max, you will be annoyed by the distorted bass sound. It's a kind of buzzing noise which doesn't occur on the iPad 4th gen under the same circumstance.:(

15. prism macrumors 6502a