53kyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I know the iPad air has stereo speakers, so how do they really compare to the older ones in iPad 2, 3, or 4? Are they any louder or clearer? Is the overall sound better or worse?

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Definitely louder and clear, still suffer from a lack of bass inherent to the design of these speakers.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
The air ones sound better with more bass in my opinion. The stereo effect is nice but you only get it while in portrait mode. Very easy to muffle the sound by covering the left grill with your hand in landscape mode. Wish the speakers were on the sides like other tablets.

aimfire

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Sunnyvale, CA
The air ones sound better with more bass in my opinion. The stereo effect is nice but you only get it while in portrait mode. Very easy to muffle the sound by covering the left grill with your hand in landscape mode. Wish the speakers were on the sides like other tablets.

Yeah, I found them to have more bass as well. Wasn't expecting that, thought something might be wrong, lol.

monk fish

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2009
I'm not sure if there is one that's better or worse.
Just different
The iPad 4 had a richer/warmer sound
The iPad air has better stereo and maybe a little clearer

hobx

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
Think I preferred the four. One thing I don't like is if you pump up the volume to full the Air seems to vibrate. Anyone else experiencing this?

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Think I preferred the four. One thing I don't like is if you pump up the volume to full the Air seems to vibrate. Anyone else experiencing this?

Yup I am and many others have also mentioned it on this forum.

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
Awesome. I think they are hands down the best speakers in any tablet and much better than any previous ipad. Maybe it's the thinness of the air but you can feel the bass and the sound is great too. I'm more and more impressed with the air the more I use it.

Lazyboi

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
If you cup your hands around the Air's speakers to redirect the sound to the front, it sounds okay. Otherwise in landscape mode the sound is too one sided. I never needed to do this for my ipad 3/4... I'm considering buying a case with built-in sound enhancers if and when it comes out for the Air. Or.... Create a custom sound booster...

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Better in my opinion. I wasn't really expecting any improvement, but was pleasantly surprised. It is both louder and fuller. If you play them side by side, you'll notice a significant difference.

kikumako

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2013
Speakers of Air (compared to that of the 4th gen): louder, clearer, more stereo, more bass, sounding more like from a boxed speaker. But when you play the smart guitar (or maybe other instruments) on GaragaBand with volume set to the max, you will be annoyed by the distorted bass sound. It's a kind of buzzing noise which doesn't occur on the iPad 4th gen under the same circumstance.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.