iPhone XR How Are Latest iPhones Water Resistant?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghsNick, Feb 3, 2019.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

How are the latest generations of iPhones water resistant?

I know they have added adhesives where the phone areas connects...but what about the speaker grill, lightning port, and earpiece grill...how are those areas water resistant?

And how water resistant are they? Do they hold up over time or do they get worse with time?

2. NikkoTuason macrumors newbie

NikkoTuason

I’ve been giving mine a good rinse with soap and water once a week since release to remove those annoying lint in the crevasse, it still works so far.

Attached Files:

3. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

The earpiece and speaker have a fine mesh grille that allows sound to pass but holds back water. It also has a rubber gasket to prevent water ingress in those areas. The Lightning port has a gasket and the port itself is doesn’t have an opening.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Water resistance can degrade over time due to simple day to day handling of the phone.

5. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

You are a brave soul.o_O But the Xs is supposed to be ip68. Apple though will not replace water damaged devices.

6. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Good luck with that. Tempting fate usually doesn’t end well.

7. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

I wouldn’t make too much of a habit of it, the water integrity does degrade over time and you might run out of luck at some point - water is very good at finding the tiniest chink in waterproofing’s armour!

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Since the iPhone 7, Apple has been using seals to encompass the water resistance.

Technically, none of those areas are ‘water resistant’, because they’re not necessarily completely sealed components, they just have a fine mesh like material that acts more of a guard if anything. The Sim card tray also has a seal surrounding it as well for added resistance.

I literally say this maybe once a week on these threads, however water resistance is never a guarantee, it’s merely a rating, what one person might experience with their iPhone with water exposure, will not be the next experience for the other iPhone user that has water exposure as well.

9. racerhomie macrumors 6502

racerhomie

The seals are made of rubber. Rubber wears down, develops tears over time,from drops,roughly using it ,etc. This will let water in. So ,do not intentionally throw your  or any other electronics in water.

10. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

To add to the voices saying "don't do that!", I'd like to point out that the soap lowers the surface tension of the water. So places that might keep water out, may have a more difficult time when you toss soap into the equation. So, double-bad idea.

11. Lekro macrumors regular

Lekro

Apple even mentions on their support page that the water resistance can and probably will deteriorate overtime with regular use of the device.

For me, it is just there for “just in case”. I know my device is only IP67 not IP68 but still, washing, especially with soap is just asking for trouble.