How are live photos imported to PC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shockwave78, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Does it keep any part of the video via separate file or is it the photo only?

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Live Photos don't get imported to a PC.

3. OrionsByte macrumors regular

OrionsByte

Just a guess here, but I've seen that when they're imported to iPhoto on a Mac they come in as a JPG and a MOV file; I'm guessing when they're transferred to a PC it will be identical.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

I doubt that a PC will understand the container that holds the JPG and MOV with a software update of some sort.

5. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

And El Capitan currently, if I understand correctly.

7. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

So are Live Photos stored as a JPG and MOV together in a container? Or are they stored separately and just linked? If they are in a container, wouldn't that cause problems when you go to share a photo? Wouldn't it also break 3rd party support for reading photos and editing them? I'm thinking the single photo still must be stored separately, while Apple devices will just know the MOV is linked and include that portion too.

I use Lightroom to import my photos, so I'm hoping I can still at least import my single photos like I normally do and just ignore the Live portion. I'm also hoping that until Facebook gets Live Photos support, we can at least still share the single photos to the social network.