How are notifications handled between the iPhone and the Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by J@ffa, Apr 9, 2015.

1. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

I've read a fair few reviews and the like and haven't been able to find the answer to what I thought would be a common question: how is a notification that appears on both devices, like a text/iMessage, handled?

At the moment, if I'm using my Mac and my iPhone is in the same room, both devices ping incessantly if I'm in a busy conversation thread. I don't always want or need to read or deal with them immediately, but I understand that Apple doesn't know which device(s) to exclude, so has to ping everything. But they do know if the Watch is actually on your person, and therefore surely the sensible thing to do would be to only notify you directly on the Watch (obviously the notification would be on the iPhone, it just wouldn't ping/buzz/etc). If my iPhone does buzz as well as the Watch tapping me too, that would be incredibly annoying! Does anyone know one way or the other?

2. LeeKennedy macrumors member

I can't quote a source, but I'm sure I remember seeing you can set it up to not vibrate/make noise on your phone if your wearing the watch

I plan on turning sound off on both devices, letting important notifications get through to the watch with the tactic engine and checking less important 'updates' from my phone

3. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

I plan to use it this way too. In addition, I hope there's a setting to silence the phone entirely (like Do Not Disturb) but *only* when paired to the watch. That way it could sit in my pocket without bugging me but still queue up all the notifications I ignored.

4. ttexxan macrumors regular

The phone will react just like any other day you have used for years. The watch will have its own setup area. You will be able to set the notifications to vibrate, ding or nothing at all. Its not rocket science..

You watch just relays whats on your phone. No phone no relay. Some have said some text and info will continue if on a wifi source. Apple has not spoke much on this. I plan on turning off most if not all notifications to the watch. I do this on my phone as well.

5. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

I think the question Ttexxan is if the notifications can be automatically adjusted on either device as a result of the two being close to each other. To avoid both from digging at the same time, for example.

6. ttexxan macrumors regular

With my samsung they would do both. If getting an email my phone would vibrate and my watch. I bet apple will be the same way.

It will be something you can tweek in the settings to have them do either or....

The samsung apps were loaded on your phone and then would show up on the watch. You would then go under the settings via that app in your phone to control what you wanted to occur.