How are people buying multiple subsidized phones??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vectorscope, Jun 16, 2010.

1. vectorscope macrumors newbie

I thought it was one per customer?

I read in another topic someone purchased 2x16gb and 1x32gb all at the subsidized price (single line account)...??
    :confused:

2. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

3. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

two lines, both eligible = two subsidized phones.

4. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

There are people in another thread saying that they've bought multiple phones with a single line all for the subsidized price.

My guess is that AT&T or Apple will cancel orders once they finish processing everything. If not, the person will end up retroactively owing the unsubsidized price once they catch on.

5. vectorscope thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah gotcha, thanks.

6. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I recall people last year buying 10, 20 phones. Some people are just jerks.

7. awestruck macrumors regular

I bought two, but they were for two different lines that were eligible. That's allowed, isn't it?

8. Orange™ macrumors 6502

So true! **** 'em though. :)

9. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

While I tend to think the cancellation is entirely possible, I doubt they'd be able to pull a retroactive price increase and force you to pay the unsubsidized price. If the product sells at one price, and you've got proof you paid the price they were asking at checkout....well, lets put it this way. That's like Wal-Mart showing up at your house and demanding you pay a higher price because they made a mistake during your checkout process. Ain't gonna happen in today's day and age.

Cancellation is more like it. This coming from someone who inadvertently bought TWO phones (1 each from Apple/AT&T) due to their incessant screwups.

10. jtara macrumors 65816

I believe that at some point Apple removed the ATT account checking, and that's why they were then able to complete orders.

If you ordered at ATT, dunno. But since they were writing orders on slips of paper, they might have done the same thing, as well.

What they did was magnify an already-bad situation, which is likely going to be even worse next week.

I wound-up making a reservation at an Apple Store using the Apple Store app. There was no price listed on the confirmation e-mail, suggesting to me that no account-check was made. Other people reported earlier in the day getting confirmations with an unsubsidized price, suggesting the same thing.

11. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Im just one person but this happened to me exactly last year. First made reservation in store. It asks if you are new or existing customer. You go through process but there is no CC charge. Its purely convenience for apple store reps. Then pre-ordered as well just in case. Waited in line to pick up phone and when you actually go in, they do a check at that time to see if you are upgrade eligible. Since I had pre-ordered as well when they checked it showed i wasnt eligible.