How are refurbished iMacs compared to new ones (quality)?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Solid.Snake, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Solid.Snake macrumors newbie

Solid.Snake

Ok there might be a billion threads about this, but I couldn't find one. Anyways, I'd like to ask the owners of refurbished iMacs about their experiences with them. Could you tell it was used and not new (i.e. Bad screen, scratched exterior, etc.) ? Did I have any problems at all? Overall do you think it was worth the compromise saving a couple hundred dollars for being used and not brand new?

Thanks in advance for the opinions :)

2. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

No difference other than box

Seriously, I could literally see no difference other than the box it came in. Just a plain white box. In fact, I could see how refurbished might be better than new given it goes through an extra quality control step.

I will probably only be buying refurbished machines from here on out.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Most people can't tell them from a new one. IMHO they're the best value for buying a Mac. There aren't too many manufacturers that will provide the same warranty as a new machine and also offer their extended service program on a refurbished machine. That sounds to me like Apple has faith in them, if you find a machine you like go for it I seriously doubt you will be disappointed.

4. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I bought the 21 and the 27 inch refurbished and I cannot tell the difference between them and new machines, and I have inspected both of them thoroughly. Not a single scratch, dent, etc.

I go through a lot of equipment being a techie, and I have a lot of professional experience setting up new machines too, so I know what I'm talking about when I say I can't tell the difference.

Even on these forums (which have a tendency to make very public even the most minor or rare issues) the stories of people getting dented, scratched, or dirty units are extremely rare. If it does happen to you, I am sure Apple will exchange it for another no problem.

Refurbished offer a GREAT value. Not only do you get a like-new computer but you save big money. The $1999 Core i5 model which just got updated is now $1529, saving you $470. If you think about it, that's almost like getting a free iPad!

Or if you get Apple Care for $169, you basically get a great iMac WITH 3 years of warranty and tech support coverage and you are STILL saving $300 over a "new" one with just 1 year of warranty and 90 days phone support.

Even the base model, retailing for $1199 not long ago is just $929 now, saving you $270.

I don't see why anyone [savvy enough to know about refurbs) would really buy a new mac (assuming a refurb of that same model is available).

And I am not a person who enjoys using second hand stuff personally. I have used some second hand products when they weren't important to me, or acquired some for family who needed deals. But me personally, I like my stuff new, especially my tech toys. I don't think of the Apple refurbs as second hand at all.

5. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

Refurbs are better than new. Absolutely no problems with mine.

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Hard to believe you did a forum search here and couldn't find a relevant thread. Anyway...except for my iPhone everything I've bought from apple has been refurbs and you couldn't tell them from new - except for the box they came in.

7. vidc macrumors newbie

for the next few days/weeks - refurbs are just as likely to be brand new but a late 2009 model, as Apple eliminate their old stock following this week's refresh

8. nataliamck macrumors 6502

Is there no choice to get software preinstalled on a refurb?

Not a big deal really but just checking

9. dexthageek macrumors 6502

I am in agreement with some other posters out there. All my future Mac purchases will be refurbs.

The software is the same price if you get it pre-installed or walk into the Apple Store and buy the box. I would rather install the software myself, 99% of the time, I perform a fresh OSX install when I get a new machine.

10. Lifequest macrumors regular

Refurb costs:
    80% of new
    New costs:
    Call up apple for "best deal" 85% of listed new price.

An extra 5% off. Not worth it IMO.

I'd take the new one.
    Like a car, I would never consider refurb tech unless if they are heavily discounted (>50% off).

P.S.
    Take advice from those who purchased refurbs with a grain of salt. It is biased and human nature always seeks to reiterate their "correct" decision.

11. nataliamck macrumors 6502

Why do you do that? Is it advised?

12. dexthageek macrumors 6502

Just so I know everything that is installed on the machine. Plus I opt to not install extras like printer drivers and languages I don't need, saves ALOT of space.

13. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Hmmm

How did you get the 85% "best deal" via the phone?

--

Refurbs are hit or miss. My iMac 24" was flawless but the 20" which I'm now recycling has a broken memory plate which neither me nor anyone else who was tech saavy could remove. The drive is also making noises now when it was quiet when I first got it.

If I can get my educational discount in the future I will continue to use that to buy Apple product new (as I did with the Mac Mini I just bought). For me, it's too much of a risk with everything I went through this year (1 new dud, 1 refurb dud, 1 refurb that wasn't good for me).

In my expereince, I discovered you cannot make any modifications to refurbs when you buy them.