How are refurbished products different?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ash9414, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

I was just wondering what difference there is between a refurbished model and a new one. I know that they have gone wrong in the past (or returned) and have been fixed, so cost less, but do they come in a brand new box with all the manuals etc?

2. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. So I guess buying a refurbished wireless Mighty Mouse is the same as buying it when they were still sold new?

3. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

I've bought two refurbished Macs, and they were both indistinguishable from new machines. Only thing you don't get is the fancy box.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes. No difference.

5. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well according to the information in that link, you should get brand new packaging and instruction manuals with all refurbished products.

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

You do get brand new packaging, in the sense that it's not like a returned box, where the previous guy ripped the flaps and the tape and ripped open the shrinkwrap. They repackage it in a totally new box, but the box isn't necessarily identical to the retail package. It might be a plain brown cardboard box instead of glossy white or black.

In my experience this is the only practical difference. Everything else looks, feels, even smells exactly like brand new.

Remember that not all refurbished goods "have gone wrong". Sometimes you buy a Mac and decide you simply don't like it and return it. Now it's refurbished. Or a product gets updated and the retailer ships back the half-dozen older models they weren't able to sell before the update... now those become refurbished units, even though they're totally brand new. For example, I would expect to see a lot of C2D MacBook Pros appearing in the refurb store right now since the model was just updated. And sure enough, if you check the store...

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Yes, you get new packaging but the box will be brown. Otherwise it is indistinguishable from new. If they have what you want it is a good deal.

8. viggen61 macrumors 6502

You do get all that. However, the packaging is often simply a plain brown box, with "Apple Refurbished Product" or similar stenciled on it. That's how my MBP came, and my AirPort Extreme (saucer) base station came. I think also my G4 tower, too.

What slpdLoad was saying, is you don't get the fancy all-color retail packaging.

Usually.

Sometimes, though, you do, because what you really bought is "overstock" such as the previous generation model shortly after a new model is announced.

No guarantee you'll get that, and you can't specify when you order refurbished.

:apple::apple:

9. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

Buy refurbished whenever possible.

1. Saves you money
    2. Same standard 1 year warranty
    3. Ships form the USA, not China

The box is the only difference. It will be plain white or brown ( I got both colors in different occasions).

10. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh ok, so I may even get a brand new wireless Mighty Mouse that has just been listed as refurbished? The thing is, you're never gonna find out whether it was or not but it makes me feel better that it might have been.

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yep. It's luck-of-the-draw, but you do get a full warranty so if you do have problems they'll take care of it.

Now that I no longer qualify for a student discount, I plan to buy refurb whenever possible.

12. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's ok. I mean it would be nice to have the Apple packaging, but it doesn't matter that much, the box will only go into a drawer or cupboard.

13. bluskale macrumors regular

just out of curiosity... but say you buy a refurb, then you find out it has a small dent or whatnot on it... do you have grounds to take it back, and if you do, they won't necessarily have the same refurb available for you...

14. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Hi,

Other differences can be in OS shipped. If there was an updated release of OS X then you may not find that in the box.

Also, I have heard of people ordering a base iMac and receiving one with a larger hdd and/or more memory. Luck of the draw.

s.

15. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm only going to be buying a refurbished Might Mouse (wireless version), so none of this should matter?