How are [snail] mail boxes spaced?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rs7, Jan 24, 2009.

1. rs7 macrumors regular

I'm doing a paper on a Non-Euclidean geometry called Taxicab geometry and am looking for applications of it. Does anyone know how mailboxes, such as those of the USPS, are spaced throughout towns?

Thanks

2. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Most personal mailboxes are placed very carefully depending on the exact point in space that the driveway meets the road.

3. rs7 thread starter macrumors regular

I mean the ones owned by the USPS...probably blue. They're placed on corners.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't think there's a specific rule. They just place them at wherever they think are convenient locations.

5. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

Yes, and also mostly at each post office. Sometimes, more than one, and sometimes only that you can get to by going inside.

Beyond that, there are some that I've been to with one for in-town and one for out-of-town, some with just one, and some with multiples I don't even make note of.

Also, in newer housing developments there are multi-use boxes with one box per house and a drop slot.

What about Apartment complexes and buildings with more than one occupant, or just stores like Mailboxes, etc?

Do you really need to only consider the blue ones?

6. rs7 thread starter macrumors regular

I mean the blue boxes collected by the USPS, not the boxes belonging to people/businesses where your mail is delivered (though I believe if the carrier can retrieve mail from your box, your mail can be collected from your own mailbox)

7. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

Ewww. Sorry, no clue.

A quick google suggests that they are called USPS Collection Stations (blue mailboxes), and that you can search for them by zip code:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...+(blue+mailboxes)&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

Beyond that, how they are placed, still no clue, although this: http://www.mailboxmap.com/ allows you to show what's available by city if you zoom in far enough.

8. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I don't believe there is a specific spacing. And more recently a lot have been removed for security reasons. Now mostly only in high traffic areas like shopping malls.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There are also some places that don't have any ... here, in Killeen, the only place I have seen any of those boxes is outside the Post Offices.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, I know what you're talking about. There's absolutely no rhyme or reason to their placement. Like I said, just wherever USPS believes is convenient.