How are the 2015 13" pro w/ retina for heat?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by h00ligan, Mar 16, 2016.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I'm curious how hot they run maybe compared to the first unibody notebooks which ran pretty hot.

I don't care to use SMC fan control to calm
    Things down and I'm
    In the market for a machine only if they release a new one in the next 30 Days (limitation of the Barclay card)

I don't honk I'll grab an end of cycle 13" unless there's w great price but I'd like the option - so feedback on heat would be helpful. I push processors with image editing and this time I'm limiting myself to the smaller pro with retina

I've already got a furnace in the surface pro 3 right now and given how hot it is here most of the year im not interested in raising ambient temp by 10 degrees when image or video editing.

Sonic it's bad (not cooler than previous models)may just get an iMac.

Thanks for the feedback.

2. Samadd macrumors member

To be honest if you keep it on your lap or basically not on a surface the computer does really heat up. but that is understood. under normal circumstances, works perfect so far. It's been 3 weeks for me so will let keep you updated as to how it comes along.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If the task you're performing is CPU intensive, the processor will heat up and the fans will run faster. All of the 13" MBPs and rMBPs sold until the early 2013 models were relaxed used 35w processors. After that they've been using 28w processors, which should run a little cooler. I've personally never had a problem with heat on my 2015 13" rMBP.

4. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. I hadn't realized the wattage change. That should
    Make a difference. I wish the MacBook was an option but it's just too slow for what I need.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It really isn't a huge difference honestly. If I load up prime95 and let it run, it'll get hot and the fans will scream. But I will say that it runs cooler than my mid 2009 13" MBP. The Broadwell CPU can handle the tasks I'm doing without breaking a sweat while the Core2 Duo was maxed out most of the time.

6. golosin2 macrumors member

When I performs light tasks (Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint, etc) the fans are not running, what means no noise.

When more exigent software, you can notice the fan kicking in. While playing Civilization: Beyond Earth, the rMBP seems an Airbus A380 taking off.

7. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

These people tend to know what they're talking about:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-13-Early-2015-Notebook-Review.139621.0.html

"Temperature
    The pretty conservative fan behavior, unfortunately, also has a drawback: The warming of the case surfaces in practice is noticeably higher compared to many Ultrabooks, which is subjectively even enhanced because of the good thermal conductivity of the aluminum chassis. Still, the MacBook never gets uncomfortably hot since temperatures above 40 °C are limited to a small area far away from the palm rest.

If you believe the sensor results, it seems that Apple does not limit the Core i5-5257U at 28 Watts but at 32 Watts instead. However, the processor still suffers from throttling due to TDP limitations under maximum load and drops to 1.8 GHz (CPU) and 800 MHz (GPU) in our stress test. Intel's temperature limit of 105 °C is fully utilized by Apple and we were able to see up to 103 °C for the CPU cores for a brief moment. Prime95 alone is executed with the full processor clock of 3.1 GHz and the power consumption of the chip levels off at around 20 Watts."