How are the batteries on the i7 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hsj0660, Apr 26, 2010.

1. hsj0660 macrumors newbie

My MBP 15" Hi-Res Glossy i7 is on the way (ordered on 19th)
    and I was just wondering how the batteries on these machines were doing.
    I've seen a lot of feedbacks from great (8~9 hrs) to average (4~6 hrs) to bad (2~3 hrs). So how is it that these reports are varying so much? Is it possible for numerous defects to be out in the world right now?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's all based on usage. The 8-9 hour battery life is based on ideal conditions: not a lot of (or even not any) nVidia GPU usage, optimal power saving settings, and not really taxing the system very much.

Obviously if you're doing graphic intensive stuff or turn off features intended to manage power usage and mazimize battery life, then battery life will dramatically suffer.

People don't all use their computers the same way, so naturally, battery life will also vary.

I must say, I'm happy with the battery life on my 15" i5 MBP. It wasn't a full 9 hours, but I was installing software, chugging away on camera RAW images in photoshop, powering a USB external hard drive that had my files backed up, and burning DVDs. Even then it lasted about 5 hours. Way longer than my previous merom 15" MBP 2.33Ghz lasted on a brand new battery. On that old guy, I was lucky to get 2.5 hours on a full charge, even if I babied it.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I get 5 hours on idle, 50% brightness and 5 feet from the wireless AP.

I don't know what I could be doing wrong.

4. atcorporate macrumors newbie

Was getting 3 hours on a full charge, 50% brightness, WIFI on and BT off.

Just reformatted and reinstalled SL now getting 4-6 variably...

5. chaostik macrumors newbie

Are you on "Better Battery Life" in the Energy Saver under System Preferences? I think (someone pls correct me if wrong) that that's the only setting that the CPU is throttled to best energy savings for(?)

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The only option is "Enable Automatic Graphics Switching" and that's on; if it's off the battery life is worse as it will only use the GT 330M

7. citizenal macrumors regular

I get over 4 hours of use. brightness setting at 50% with bt off also.