How are the first Unibody 17" MBPs doing battery-wise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zorinlynx, Oct 19, 2010.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

The first unibody 17" Macs with built in batteries came out about a year and ten months ago. Apple promised us the battery life would not start to degrade for at least three years, and that we would get 1000 charge cycles out of them.

For those who bought those machines when they came out, how is your battery doing? Have you noticed reduced performance? I so love the battery performance of my new 15" Unibody MBP but hope it'll be nearly as good a few years down the line!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where exactly did they promise this?

3. applepearpp macrumors regular

apple did not promise the 3 years thing. it said 1000 charges is about 3 times more durable than other companies' battery (usual life is about 300 charges), if i remember correctly.

it also depends on how you use your laptop. i have a friend who left his mbp on sleep fully charged but not plugged in and went Europe for 1 month. When he came back, the battery lost about 1/3 of its total capacity. I don't know why but it happened.

4. zorinlynx thread starter macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I think it was in one of the keynotes. They promised much better longevity than previous battery designs, which is why I wonder how well the first unibody 17" MBPs are doing.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It was stated in Macworld 2009 Keynote. Business rule #1: Never promise your customers anything. Apple learned that when the promised Mac buyers in the mid-90's free phone tech support for life, got sued for stopping it, then forced to resume it. And they are still providing it, I like to call and chat with them sometimes.

6. n0d3 macrumors regular

Got it when it first came out. Doesn't really leave the house to be honest.

Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 13019
    Fully charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 13080
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 77
    Condition: Normal

Ranges anywhere from 129XX to 131XX.