How are the iPad's speakers?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mjmar, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I've been looking for a review that mentions the speakers, but haven't been successful. I'm guessing that they're significantly better than the iPhone's due to the iPad's larger size.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The only time the iPad was reviewed was the event yesterday during the hands-on. It was crowded like hell (so heaven is not crowded?) so the speakers couldn't be properly tested with all the background noise.

3. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

how are you gonna get a review on a product that was released yesterday? unless you mean a hands on experience...?

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I believe it only has one speaker and I'd bet the speaker/mic are ported from the iPhone to save costs.

EDIT: Just looked at a picture and it may have two. However they are right next to each other negating any stereo effect.

5. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I think they are louder than the iphone since there seems to be a small speaker grill rather than holes poked in the bottom like the iphone.

6. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE47BMe83W8

Go to 5:05, they mention the iPad being so loud you can feel it through the case. That's probably about as good as answer you'll find before the official reviews.

7. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

it has three speakers next to each other,
    and the mic is right next to the audio jack.

note: images are courtesy of Engadget.

Attached Files:

8. ZOMGVTEK macrumors newbie

Quite good, auctualy. For a portable device the speaker is just fine. Much, much better than the iPhone 3GS...

9. Akash.B macrumors regular

10. jazzkids macrumors member

I think they are soft. You CAN watch a movie, but you need quiet to really hear it. I found this thread while looking for external speakers fornmy ipad if that tells you anything.

11. gillybean macrumors 6502a

I think the speakers are only about the same as the iPhone 3gs speakers.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

That's interesting because I was in the Apple store this past weekend and played with 2 different iPads and as crowded and noisy as that store was I was able to hear the music I played in iTunes perfectly, I actually had to turn it down a bit. Played a couple of games and the sound was very strong and loud.

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

The iPad speakers are amazing. I'm on mine right now listening to the iPod and it's rather loud. Obviously it's no comparison to a set of desktop speakers but it is rather loud considering, very clear too.

14. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

Since using mine, I would have to say a little weak. I have to turn my volume up at least 1/2 way to really even hear stuff clearly. That's with it on my lap. It might be due to the placement of the speakers...I don't know.

15. jbm32 macrumors newbie

I found the speakers to be much better than what I expected. They are a little tinny, but turning on bass boost helps alot. Cupping your hand around the speakers also helps.

16. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I was pleasantly surprised by the sound of the speaker. I think it sounds better than my 24" ACD. :rolleyes:

17. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

I am impressed by the speaker - more than sufficient for watching TV shows and listening to music.

Only thing I don't like is that there is only one speaker- so when you watch a video in landscape orientation, all the audio will be coming out of one side.

18. undrpsi macrumors regular

+1
    I was expecting something like my iPhone...but it was much better. Acceptable quality in almost every setting.

I did get some Sony BT headphones...just so I don't bother other people.

YMMV !!!

19. MT0227 macrumors 6502

Better than the iPhone, not as good as the MBP's or iMac's and certainly not even comparable at all to a good set of headphones.

20. citizenal macrumors regular

+1

Not even close. I have a 09 27" imac and 10 i7 15 inch and it's alot more quiet than both, though it is much louder than my 2g itouch.

21. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

You think or you know? My iPad's speakers are far louder and clearer than my 3GS's speaker.

Obviously worse than my Audio-Technicas and Bose desktop speakers but not bad for a mobile device.

22. TheXIIIth macrumors member

The speakers are quite good considering the form factor -

I was upstairs changing in to my work out gear, getting ready to head over the gym. As I'm changing I hear what I thought was the TV being turned on by my wife.
    Grab my sneakers and I start to make my way to the stair case. I get down to the final step, look over to the TV to see what my wife is watching and I see that it's off :eek:.
    Look over to the dining room to see my wife sitting at the table with a sandwich, watching an episode of General Hospital via the abc app on the iPad.

23. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

I think the speakers are terrible. Tinny, hard to hear in any environment other than a closet.

That's why I got the SoundMatters Bluetooth pocket speakers which i have a thread going in the accessories section.

I wrote a review of them on Amazon also which I posted I think they are a critical accessory component to have with the iPad.

24. Star-fire macrumors 6502

Quite a range of opinions, I think they are the best I've heard out of a device it's size (That's the key) Also if you cup your hand behind the speaker it's noticeably better too!

They are clear to full volume and yes you can feel it though the ipad itself.

25. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I think they are good. Better than my iPhone. :D