How are the iPad's speakers?

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2008
I've been looking for a review that mentions the speakers, but haven't been successful. I'm guessing that they're significantly better than the iPhone's due to the iPad's larger size.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
The only time the iPad was reviewed was the event yesterday during the hands-on. It was crowded like hell (so heaven is not crowded?) so the speakers couldn't be properly tested with all the background noise.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I believe it only has one speaker and I'd bet the speaker/mic are ported from the iPhone to save costs.

EDIT: Just looked at a picture and it may have two. However they are right next to each other negating any stereo effect.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
I think they are louder than the iphone since there seems to be a small speaker grill rather than holes poked in the bottom like the iphone.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
I believe it only has one speaker and I'd bet the speaker/mic are ported from the iPhone to save costs.

EDIT: Just looked at a picture and it may have two. However they are right next to each other negating any stereo effect.
it has three speakers next to each other,
and the mic is right next to the audio jack.

note: images are courtesy of Engadget.

Attachments

ZOMGVTEK

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
Quite good, auctualy. For a portable device the speaker is just fine. Much, much better than the iPhone 3GS...

jazzkids

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2004
Providence, RI
I think they are soft. You CAN watch a movie, but you need quiet to really hear it. I found this thread while looking for external speakers fornmy ipad if that tells you anything.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I think they are soft. You CAN watch a movie, but you need quiet to really hear it. I found this thread while looking for external speakers fornmy ipad if that tells you anything.
That's interesting because I was in the Apple store this past weekend and played with 2 different iPads and as crowded and noisy as that store was I was able to hear the music I played in iTunes perfectly, I actually had to turn it down a bit. Played a couple of games and the sound was very strong and loud.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
That's interesting because I was in the Apple store this past weekend and played with 2 different iPads and as crowded and noisy as that store was I was able to hear the music I played in iTunes perfectly, I actually had to turn it down a bit. Played a couple of games and the sound was very strong and loud.
The iPad speakers are amazing. I'm on mine right now listening to the iPod and it's rather loud. Obviously it's no comparison to a set of desktop speakers but it is rather loud considering, very clear too.

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
Since using mine, I would have to say a little weak. I have to turn my volume up at least 1/2 way to really even hear stuff clearly. That's with it on my lap. It might be due to the placement of the speakers...I don't know.

jbm32

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
Georgia
I found the speakers to be much better than what I expected. They are a little tinny, but turning on bass boost helps alot. Cupping your hand around the speakers also helps.

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
I am impressed by the speaker - more than sufficient for watching TV shows and listening to music.

Only thing I don't like is that there is only one speaker- so when you watch a video in landscape orientation, all the audio will be coming out of one side.

undrpsi

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I found the speakers to be much better than what I expected. They are a little tinny, but turning on bass boost helps alot. Cupping your hand around the speakers also helps.
I was pleasantly surprised by the sound of the speaker.
I am impressed by the speaker - more than sufficient for watching TV shows and listening to music.
The iPad speakers are amazing. I'm on mine right now listening to the iPod and it's rather loud. Obviously it's no comparison to a set of desktop speakers but it is rather loud considering, very clear too.
+1
I was expecting something like my iPhone...but it was much better. Acceptable quality in almost every setting.

I did get some Sony BT headphones...just so I don't bother other people.

YMMV !!!

MT0227

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Better than the iPhone, not as good as the MBP's or iMac's and certainly not even comparable at all to a good set of headphones.

citizenal

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2010
Better than the iPhone, not as good as the MBP's or iMac's and certainly not even comparable at all to a good set of headphones.
+1

Not even close. I have a 09 27" imac and 10 i7 15 inch and it's alot more quiet than both, though it is much louder than my 2g itouch.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
I think the speakers are only about the same as the iPhone 3gs speakers.
You think or you know? My iPad's speakers are far louder and clearer than my 3GS's speaker.

Obviously worse than my Audio-Technicas and Bose desktop speakers but not bad for a mobile device.

TheXIIIth

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
The speakers are quite good considering the form factor -

I was upstairs changing in to my work out gear, getting ready to head over the gym. As I'm changing I hear what I thought was the TV being turned on by my wife.
Grab my sneakers and I start to make my way to the stair case. I get down to the final step, look over to the TV to see what my wife is watching and I see that it's off :eek:.
Look over to the dining room to see my wife sitting at the table with a sandwich, watching an episode of General Hospital via the abc app on the iPad.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I think the speakers are terrible. Tinny, hard to hear in any environment other than a closet.

That's why I got the SoundMatters Bluetooth pocket speakers which i have a thread going in the accessories section.

I wrote a review of them on Amazon also which I posted I think they are a critical accessory component to have with the iPad.

Star-fire

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Quite a range of opinions, I think they are the best I've heard out of a device it's size (That's the key) Also if you cup your hand behind the speaker it's noticeably better too!

They are clear to full volume and yes you can feel it though the ipad itself.