How are the refurbished iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Uguubot, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Uguubot macrumors member

Uguubot

Are they like, basically iPads without the original box? I just wanna know if it's worth the $50 saved to have a used device or if I should just buy one new.

I am getting the 16GB 3G+WiFi, or, maybe the 32GB Wi-Fi only.

2. Tom G., Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

With a refurbished unit you are getting a unit that is actually better than a new one. The new ones were tested by a set of automatic machines that run the same tests on thousands of units per hour. Some errors get by which is why Apple stores carry extras that are not for sale but simply to replace units that have not worked right for customers.

A refurb unit has been fully repaired and is given more testing than is done for a new unit because it is not done on an automated assembly line set up for thousands of phones, but on a separate line for just refurbished phones. In the end what you get is a phone in all the original packaging etc. that no one, but you, can tell from a new phone, but was actually tested to a higher standard.

No one should ever worry about getting a refurb product. This holds true, not only for Apple but, for most large electronics manufacturers no matter what product they make.

3. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

My refurb iPad came the other day and I love it. As with nearly every refurb Apple product I have ever bought, it looks like new, works like new and saved me some money.

4. Uguubot thread starter macrumors member

Uguubot

The refurb ones come inoriginal packaging? Nice. Well I know I'm getting refurb now, the hundred or so bucks I save can buy a nice new case :)

5. applefan022 macrumors 6502

No it doesn't come in original packaging it comes in a box like this.

Comes with manuals, new charger.

Attached Files:

6. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I am also looking at a 16GB iPad Wifi + 3G refurbished. I just want to know if both the back outer shell and the front glass are replaced with new parts or is it only on some of the units where they deem they don't look like new?

7. OptyCT macrumors 6502

I don't have a refurbished iPad, but I have ordered several refurb Apple products in the past (i.e. iPod Touch, Nano, MacBook Pro, etc.). All of the items have showed up in "new" condition. Further, I have not had a single performance issue with any of the Apple refurbs. Remember, refurbished Apple products carry the same factory warranty as the new products do, and they're also eligible for AppleCare. I would have no hesitations pulling the trigger on a refurbished iPad.

8. applefan022 macrumors 6502

i received my refurb ipad tuesday, i can confirm it comes with a new outer shell, no scratches or blemishes anywhere as i can see from the naked eye. also comes with a brand new battery, new manuals, new usb cord, and new wall charger.

9. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

My refurb'd iPad has been shipped - and reading this is getting me antsy for its arrival! New battery, shell etc, & cheaper! What's not to like? :)

10. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

the fact it's not in your hands yet! :p

11. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Does that new outer shell include new glass on the front?

12. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I was going to get a 16gb wifi refurb but Apples out of stock - looks like I'll be saving money for the iPad 2

13. tmp0404 macrumors member

As of 4:44 PM EST they are in stock at the Apple refurb store, you need to check often. I wanted to get on this past Monday, I put it off until Tuesday morning, and the 16gb wifi ones were out of stock. By mid morning Tuesday, more were available, so I pulled the trigger, I should have it on Monday next week.

Check and check often, I think the refurb 16gb wifi is a good deal.

14. biblicalfury macrumors member

I picked up a refurbished iPad about a month ago and it works perfectly. If it wasn't for the different packaging, you can't tell that it isn't brand new.

I also have a refurbished iMac and iPhone. There's no need to worried about refurbished Apple product.