How are the speakers in the 27 cinema display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macagain, Oct 4, 2010.

1. macagain macrumors regular

Wondering how the speakers in the 27" display is, esp. compared with a mbp (15 unibody)... sound quality, loudness etc. Specs wise, it sounds good... with the built-in subwoofer and all, but have also heard that the bass was weak. I went into the Apple Store to give it a listen, but with all the noise, it was hard to tell. Anyone got one, and what do you think?

BTW, when I was in the store and poking around the monitor to see how to turn on the speakers (it won't turn on if ext speakers are plugged into the mac), a little apple helper came by to ask if i needed help. I said "yes, can you turn on the speakers for me". Sheepishly he turned to the neighboring mac, pulled up the apple page for the display to verify that it did indeed have speakers, then went and got another little friend to help :)

2. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

I want to know this answer too. I've been waiting for someone to post a thread :p

I want to know if the sound coming from the display is crisp. The sound from my 15" unibody is crisp, but I tried the old 24" cinema display and the sounds was always muffled and wasn't crisp at all.

Hopefully this one will be crisp :eek:

3. w00tini macrumors 6502a

the speakers are crisp and the sub-woofer gives it just enough oomf to be a nice round spectrum of sound.

4. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Best built-in-display speakers I have ever heard. They are even better than the 27 inch iMac speakers! It's pretty impressive.

That said, don't expect anything HiFi or Audiophile, but on a consumer level it is pretty good. The only negative I really have with them is that they fire downwards as opposed to directly toward your ears. So the sound may vary depending on the surface the display is on or how it's positioned relative to where you sit.

5. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Would you say the sound is crisp?

I'm just worried because many said great things of the old 24" cinema display's speakers, and then I bought a refurb unit and the sound was sooo muffled and not crisp.

I am hoping this one is nice and crisp like my 15" unibody mbp :eek:

6. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

It's crisp, but I think it's one of those things you have to hear because you can't really describe it. Sounds pretty clean to me, but like I said it doesn't compare to real speakers.

7. davelanger macrumors 6502a

If you choose to use external speakers in the prefs, this will disable the monitor speakers right>

8. w00tini macrumors 6502a

yes

9. davelanger macrumors 6502a