How are those custom albums you can make via iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by matt1987, Aug 16, 2007.

1. matt1987 macrumors member

I was thinking of setting one up for my girlfriend as a little gift. I wasn't sure if they were worth the money or if they looked snazzy or cheap.

Anyone ever actually order one of these or could even, at all, possibly, maybe, post pictures of how the album actually looks in real-life?

It's a cool feature but I want to know how practical it is.

The Photobooth shots are, what, 640x480?

I'm putting a lot of them into this custom photobook thing (the ones you can make and order via iPhoto) on full pages and I'm wondering if when I get the album the pictures will look bad?

WUL for anyone who can let me know.

2. pattern macrumors newbie

I have never ordered one myself but you can goto flickr and search "iphoto album" or photobook and theres a few results. Looks pretty good to me.

3. buckact macrumors newbie

I made a book for my fiance (now wife) last year after a trip to San Francisco. It came out really well.

We are planning to make a few calendars and Christmas Cards later this year.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes.

To look photo-realistic, with a 640 x 480 image you are looking at 4" x 3" maximum. You can blow it up larger, but there will be blur and pixillated artifacts progressively as you increase the size.

That's assuming that the original image is good in the first place. Add onto that bad exposure, poor colour balance, and bad focus and... well..

Best you try one or two images first, maybe at a quick copy shop or camera store that offers prints from digital.

5. kolax macrumors G3

The quality isn't really worth much as a print out to be honest - the new MBP's and iMac's have a 1 megapixel camera built in so you'll get higher resolution and better quality.

Depends on the size you are after on the print out too - but generally webcams lack real colour and clarity. Considering the size of the lense on the iSight it isn't surprising the colour quality isn't the best.

Works great as a webcam, not good if you want to make a Photo album. Just buy a digital camera - they don't cost much now-a-days.