how are visual voicemail and caller ID related?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Keebler, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi folks,

I'm about to buy the iphone, but have a question:

I was told new plans of october 1st from Rogers will include visual voicemail, but Caller ID is part of the $15 pkg with text msgs and ring trax.

But how was VVmail work without caller id? Do the message just show up numerically or something? How are they identified? I think without caller ID, it's a pretty much useless feature?

Cheers,
    keebler

2. Jeremy W macrumors regular

There are still cellular carriers out there that don't just include caller ID? That's insane.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

They would just show up in order recieved. I think Rogers is retarded for not including VV Caller ID, and Unlimited Data, and requiring a 3-year contract. Someone needs to start complaining to the CRTC, oh, wait, the CRTC doesn't like competition, it likes to set up monopolies.

TEG

4. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

that's right guys...not included. the new plans for oct. include VVmail, but no caller ID...kind of crappy b/c it makes you buy the extra pkg to make vvmail work as advertised. argh!

5. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

What exactly makes you think that Caller ID must be a prerequisite to the proper functioning of Visual Voicemail?

6. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

i don't...hence my original question of how it works.

ie. if not caller ID, do message show up in visual vmail as alphanumeric:
    message #1
    message #2
    et ...etc..

or will it still show
    Steve Jobs - 10:37
    goosnarrggh - 1:34

etc..

So I guess my question is: how would the vvmail know who called if there's no caller ID or does it use something different? ie. maybe the person's phone number?

7. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Ah, I see. Well, the worst case scenario is that you'd just get some sort of cryptic message ID number (or "Unknown Caller") as you suggested. But certainly the time and date stamp would still be there no matter what.

I think the easiest answer, provided that your mind is already made up and you're going to buy the iPhone in any event, is to give it a try and see what happens. Rogers allows you to turn the Caller ID feature on and off at any time without penalty, so it ought to be a fairly easy experiment.

I'd give it about 60% odds that enabling/disabling the Caller ID service only affects live incoming voice calls, but that Visual Voicemail service probably gets all the info it needs to operate as intended even without the Caller ID feature.

As well, don't let Rogers website confuse you: If you want Caller ID alone, but you aren't interested in the other things included in the $15 value package, it is possible to just add Caller ID as a standalone feature for about $6.

I just don't understand why in tarnations Canadian carriers routinely charge extra for switching on Caller ID in the first place.

8. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks Goose. I don't get the extra charges either. Don't even get me started on the monthly $6.95 'system access fee' either :)

I ended up buying the iphone and got the visual voicemail pkg with caller id only b/c it was a good deal for the rest so I saved in one area and spent it in the other :)

thanks again,
    Keebler