How are Vodafone (UK) users finding the service/speed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fuzzy.Dunlop, May 1, 2010.

1. Fuzzy.Dunlop macrumors regular

After five-years of a blackberry, I'm going to make the switch to the 4g when it comes out but, was wondering how people were finding the phone performed (network speeds) and how much of the the 1gb data usage they use per month

Living in central london the 3g network has been crippled since the Iphone came out with Vodafone + problems with the BT tower have made 3g unusable to the point that Vodafone advised our company to set up all the phones to search for 2 and 3g networks (my phone now finds edge more than 3g).

Though on the plus side I have a btopenzone hotspot right next to my building how much data usage to people get with this before they're warned?

I currently use the Skysports app a lot (on my touch) probably watching 20+hrs a month

Bit of a ramble but, hopefully you get my point

2. matttye macrumors 601

Read this.

O2 > Vodafone > Orange at the four different stations on the monopoly board :)

I've had HSDPA and 3G constantly in London on O2, Orange and T-Mobile.. I was under the impression coverage was excellent for all networks in London.

3. Fuzzy.Dunlop thread starter macrumors regular

The one thing that test shows is how sporadic network speeds are, the nearest ones to me on that test are Marylebone Station and the Apple store (I'm right in the middle behind Selfridges)

For e.g Marylebone download average 478 - Apple store average download 1292 (with a massive fluctuation)

I'm probably in an above average area for data usage but still

4. matttye macrumors 601

Yeah, time of day can play a huge factor too. I can browse about twice as fast in the middle of the night sometimes when nobody is awake!

5. omegac macrumors newbie

I wouldn't touch Vodafone again with a barge pole, my iPhone on Voda was a paperweight, and it was only after I got the Director's Office involved that they released me from my 18mth contract (after the e-forum staff told me this was impossible to do!!)

Read this, and look at the forum homepage, to see how many hits this thread has had, lots of people googleing iPhone problems perhaps?

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/topic/50704-iphone-poor-signal/page__gopid__336119#entry336119

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

Orange is no better when it comes to iphone network signal, i'm forever loosing 3G signal an find myself on gprs more then 3G in my own home. If i go downstairs i lose service completely, i seem to get best results with an O2 sim in my house.

Take last night i was sat in bed watchin TV and found i had gprs on 4 bars, i generally have to switch airplane mode on an off to get 3G back. Anyway i swapped my sim out and got full bars 3G connection and left it for a while and still had my 3G connection.

Due to this testing and the fact O2 seem to have the better value tariffs an cheaper handset prices i'm continplating a port out to O2 in august when contract is up

7. Fuzzy.Dunlop thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting thread that and pretty much confirms what I thought about the Iphone crippling Vodafones network (all the problems started the week the Iphone came out for e.g no radio signal to make call, multiple voicemails coming through where there's been no missed calls, checking texts to see they haven't sent due to network failure etc etc)

My boss is getting pretty pissed off with it so may look into the logistics of moving to O2

8. matttye macrumors 601

It's not just me then?

At work and in my house I get little to no GPRS signal on the bottom floor, but on the top floor at both places the signal is better.

I get mostly 3G outside though, which is good.

9. Fuzzy.Dunlop thread starter macrumors regular

Surprisingly London has loads of dead spots, still. Reading that vodafone thread a few people were moaning about N6 having no coverage and its true, I used to have to hang out of my bedroom window to make/receive a call when I lived in highgate

The bottom of Primrose Hill is another Vodafone deadspot

10. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

if I go on their website it says my area is in a excellent 3G spot and when I spoke to CS originally they put it down to the fact my house was built in the 50-60's era (after asking when the house was built)

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Just goes to show no network is immune and i'm all the more glad i didn't bother switching networks...especially given the fact that O2 continues to bolster their network to handle iPhone mania.

12. jraybo macrumors newbie

This is the problem all of the networks are going to face that take the iphone (and any of the new smart phones), it is a game changer and O2 learnt the hard way over the last year and a half with cells congested with the amount of iphones on the network, but has learnt from the the problem and has a head start all of the other networks are playing catchup.

13. Fuzzy.Dunlop thread starter macrumors regular