How are you coping with the waiting nightmare?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Gloor, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Hi, I don't know about you but I can't help checking MR 50x a day :(
    I have my MP on order and delivery estimate is 27th February. I need it from the 18th as my school begins so I hope I'll get it before. I just wonder how do you cope with the waiting and what do you do to keep yourself busy? :)

2. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

3. AmericanScience macrumors newbie

Holy smokes - that IS a long time.

I ordered mine last Monday and it's being delivered this Monday.. Which sucks, because I'll be out of town on a business trip until Thursday. Grr. But I was checking a lot too.

4. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I check the forums a billion times a day for anything interesting to keep me occupied until the 8800s ship :(

5. Jupeman macrumors member

Well, as I posted in another thread, I ended up canceling my original "first day" order that included a 8800GT to get the computer faster in a new order. Then THAT order was delayed past its original projected ship date. Now it has finally shipped and I'll get the machine on Monday, but.... I leave on Tuesday for 7 days... [​IMG]

6. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice. I think about it this way: I was waiting for the update for 9 months so 5 weeks won't kill but its bloody hard to know that it is so close. :) I didn't want to order 8800GT separately because I have very little money right now as a student. I need it on the 18th so I can wait couple more weeks :) It will save me few £ :)

7. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

I throw darts at a picture of Steve Jobs.
    I mail Mooninite pictures to all Apple department heads.
    I am having the Apple logo tattoo removed from my arm with laser surgery.
    I moon the local Apple store every time I go by.
    I am doing some proofreading for Dvorak.
    I make contributions to The Inquirer.
    I am helping Michael Dell with his financial strategy.
    I give advise to Rob Enderle.
    I am starting up my own web site called PCrumors.com.
    I am giving Steve Ballmer dancing lessons.
    I am buying up old clamshell iBooks and changing them into toilet seats and reselling them.

8. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

I checked if PCrumors.com already existed and it just takes you to macrumors.com :p take that, PC's!

I dreading the wait too, but I'm thinking I might wait till it's ready available before I order my Mac Pro. Although I have faith, you just sometimes never know what can happen with new hardware releases, so I'll wait a bit more and see what everyone has to say about the new card.

I have a Mac Pro as my wallpaper at both home and work. That doesn't seem to help the situation.

9. Reach macrumors 6502a

10. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Put it this way: is it better than if you were still waiting for updated MPs?

11. Reach macrumors 6502a

No, because while I was waiting for the update I had my PowerMac Dual G5. I sold it as soon as I ordered the Mac Pro.. :p So now I only have my Macbook Pro.

12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I am coping by not ordering yet! It killed me to wait a month for my MBP due to the 7.2krpm drive. I've decided to wait until the 8800's are shipping before I place my order, then I won't be checking status constantly!

13. caeneal macrumors member

Cancelled order. Drove 2hours to apple store, bought MP basic config there.

But I still keep checking this message board like every 2 hours or so...

14. astrostu macrumors 6502

By working 80 hrs/week so's not to think about it.

15. rcgrabbag macrumors newbie

By buying one with the 2600 and ordering the 8800 separately.

16. Reach macrumors 6502a

That is Apple's dream though, people actually wasting money on something they don't need. Unless it's possible to use that ATI-card and the 8800 at the same time later? If so, that would of course be useful if you need more than two monitors.

And, that's not COPING with the wait, that's avoiding it. :)

17. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

18. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

I'm checking MR a lot, and I'm busying myself by selling loads of old gear on eBay, to pay for lots of new snazzy stuff that will eventually compliment my productivity (new camera lenses, mac peripherals, looking at new graphics tablets too - but confused about using one with two displays... hmm)

19. rcgrabbag macrumors newbie

For me and what I do, time is money. Working with video, having the faster machine for two weeks now has more than paid for the video card already.

20. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

21. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

Same. I'm returning my current Mac Pro and re-ordering with the Ati, but I do not want to wait 3 weeks. I have 14 days to ship it back, according to the label, I think I'm going to wait that long before I ship it back.

22. whistler222 macrumors 6502

at least there's some game with expensive commercials goin' on today...

tomo is back to waiting 101.. :)

23. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Same here. I couldn't wait on the machine that long, I had to have it for work.

Can't wait for the 800GT to get here though!

24. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I just cry into my Corn Flakes. Every morning.

25. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Seriously, though. If you need it need it, the only way around it is to just buy the stock machine now and upgrade the card later on. Sure, you have to spend $350 on the card later, but maybe you can throw the old ATI card up on eBay for $100 and get some money back.

Hey, entry level graphics now, is better than no graphics till the end of Feb!