How are you feeling about your iPad Pro 9.7 now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gobikerider, Jun 9, 2017.

1. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Im curious how people who bought the iPad Pro 9.7 feel now that only a year later, your device will not be able to take full advantage of iOS 11 multitasking in the fall, I think it was a mistake on Apple's part to only include 2gb of ram. I find it ironic that the iPad Air 2 was able to take advantage of iOS longer than the "Pro" iPad could. Apple has basically denoted the 9.7inch Pro to the Air 2 feature level albeit the A9X is quicker. I'd feel more inclined to say the A9X is smoother because overall the A8X isnt really slow to load anything, atleast for me , however it will stutter if you are multitasking/putting it under heavy workload. What are your opinions on your Pro 9.7, does it make you irritated, angry, do you even care?

2. ApplLvr macrumors member

3. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I feel no different today than the day I purchased my iPad Pro 9.2. I buy a product to serve a particular purpose at the time of purchase. The past cannot be changed and the future is uncertain, so I only focus on today.

4. mjwebb macrumors member

mjwebb

You know...I had an iPad Pro 32gb Gold and sold it (luckily for what I paid for it) to a friend but now, as I await the order of my 10.5" iPad Pro, truly miss it!

So to answer your question, kinda, I am glad I got rid of the Gen 1 Pro to have a little bit larger iPad to hopefully use in replace to a MacBook!

5. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Mine is on Craigslist and in the Marketplace of this site. Still like it, just can't justify both.

6. ActionableMango, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017

ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

All my iPad-owning friends didn't even know they could do side-by-side right now. So I imagine most people won't use 4-app multitasking anyway.

7. va1984 macrumors member

You know, I used to have the 12.9 iPad from release day and I loved it. These last few months I was using a 9.7" Pro with a MacBook. The announcement actually made me think that maybe the smart thing to do is to keep the 9.7 Pro and get in addition to it the 12.9 second generation (and lose the MacBook, of course). My reasoning: 10" tablets aren't really made for multitasking, whether it's 10.5 or 9.7 is irrelevant. There isn't enough screen do really run three apps. It becomes overlapping madness. The multitasking is truly going to shine on the 12.9 tablet. On the other hand, I need a 10 tablet around because that (and not 12.9) is the perfect size for annotation on the go and reading.
    So my position right now is that I'll keep my 9.7 Pro and add the 12.9 to the arsenal again. Of course, after the event I ordered the 10.5 because my finger just said yes to the novelty, but I am considering cancelling my preorder and ordering the 12.9 instead.

8. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Well keep mine as a back up to my new next arrival of the 12.9 iPad Pro this coming Tuesday

9. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

This. Exactly. At the time of purchase, the Pro 9.7 hit all the bullet points in my list of requirements. Heck, if I knew it would be 18 months between the Air 2 and the Pro 9.7's release, I would've just bought the Air 2 back in 2014 and then still upgraded to the Pro 9.7 in 2016.

Quite honestly, I have multitasking disabled on my Pro 9.7 because I kept accidentally bring up the side bar. If I could disable split view in Safari, I would.

Tentative plan is to keep the Pro 9.7 as my on-the-go iPad while getting the Pro 12.9 for home/office. However, depending on how much nicer 120Hz is, I might end up getting the Pro 10.5, too (keeping the 9.7 as backup).

10. profets macrumors 68040

I got the 9.7” Pro at launch, but it was at a time when I needed an iPad and when briefly trying the 12.9 I had a tough time making it fit all my use cases (a lot of casual reading on the couch or in bed). I’ve used the 9.7 quite heavily for the past 15 months. I’m thinking of getting a 12.9 now for more desktop type of use and keeping the 9.7 as a very portable iPad.

Regarding the RAM - yeah, it’s tough. Would have been nice for it to have matched the 12.9 at the time so the stay on parity with future software features. However, its a very minor use case, needing to pull a 3rd app on the screen, especially on the smaller 9.7”.

11. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

The only thing it doesn't do is a ridiculous 4 app on the screen at once feature. Is that even useful on a 10.5" screen? I use 3 apps on the 9.7 and space is crunched, I like it but I can't see the utility of adding a 4th when I can command tab faster than dragging an app up.

12. Goodfellha macrumors newbie

Goodfellha

The only real limitation of the iPad Pro 9.7 is the maximum apps on screen is limited to either:
    2 main apps + PiP
    1 main app + 1 floating + PiP
    Which is more than adequate anyway.

Having said that the 10.5 does interest me. I'm curious about how good the 120hz is and what impact it has on battery life.

13. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I rarely sell my devices. I actually like having Fall back options and additional uses for my older iPads, iPhones, etc. Mainly because it's impressive how long of a duration they last even after they are no longer supported. That's the advantage of Apple products. They last well beyond their lifespan. I also have my older devices used throughout my residence.

However, my 9.7 iPad will serve me well with having a smaller device, while my new 12.9 Pro will primarily be a desktop replacement. (Even though I just purchased a new laptop before I knew these new Pro iPads were going to launch. )

14. rui no onna, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017

rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Not really. RAM helps with normal use. I often have to force close background apps and Safari when webpages start getting glitchy. I would have greatly appreciated having 4GB RAM on the 9.7 Pro.

That said, I was already frustrated with my Air 16GB and have been for the 6 months or so prior to getting my Pro 9.7 (discovered Tumblr and that was really JavaScript and GIF-heavy). I was so close to pulling the trigger on the Air 2 128GB when the Pro 9.7 was announced. I just couldn't wait another year or more for a 10-inch class tablet which may or may not have more RAM.

15. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

iPad 10.5" is what 9.7" should've been from the beginning. Since I pretty much knew what a next iPad Pro could be, the announcement didn't really change the view on my iPad Pro 9.7" - it's a temporary device that has some minor performance issues (I get apps unloaded from RAM from time to time) when directly compared to 12.9" which I also had. It's been just over a year and it's already lacking some features due to the RAM bottleneck.

9.7" Pro is the new iPad 3 in my book. Quite annoying really. But I'm not buying 10.5" until I see the next Surface Pro. It's a different device class, but is probably better for me.

16. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Mine is on gumtree as we speak if I don't sell it there then will go to o2 recycle

17. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

The iPad 3's problem wasn't the amount of RAM, it was the anemic A5X SoC.

18. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Dude, im glad i got 12.9 2015 model. 4gb ram. I know this 9.7 subject, but still, getting larger kind of have better value.

19. gobikerider thread starter macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Yah that was my point those guys are getting the money's worth while the 9.7 guys got the short end of the stick

20. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Outside of tech forum echo chambers, majority of owners have lives and don't have feelings either way about tech. Basic questions won't be answered until the new iPads are torn apart and reviewed, I'll wait until I read those reviews before saying it's me not you to my IPP 9.7 ;)

21. gobikerider thread starter macrumors 68000

gobikerider

My question wasn't appealing to normal people but rather the people within these forums, whom I felt would surely have opinions to share on the issue. ;)

22. triple-tap macrumors 6502

I aged. I love my iPad Pro 9.7, but I'm curious as to the 120hz screen and whether developers will actually start to capitalize on this feature.

23. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

Love my 9.7. If/when I see a 10.5 for $500 total, it will be hard to resist.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2017 ---
    I think the TrueTone display on the 9.7 is more useful than 4GB RAM on the old 12.9. Display is something I benefit from 100% of the time. Still not sure if I ever had any performance degradation from the 2GB RAM.

24. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

I know. It wasn't my point.

25. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Agreed. I think Tru-Tone display is an under appreciated feature until One experiences it. It was one of the key separations from the 2015 12.9 iPad. The 2GB of Ram could have been better on the 9.7 Pro, but I could easily over look that based on what I would be using the 9.7 Pro for and is adequate based on my needs.