Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I really like it! seems better in landscape space wise but

some thoughts-

don't like the software keyboard in landscape, it feels more cumbersome than 9.7" which now feels like the perfect ratio ergonomically

I do like the portrait keyboard though,

Don't really like that 10.5" has no silicone case, though I wouldn't be happy paying full retail anyways since I got my 9.7" one for relatively cheap on ebay

same with Smart Keyboard, don't really wanna shell out $159 when I paid hardly Half that for my 9.7" pro

my 9.7" pro on 10.2 jailbroken

iOS 11 beta even for beta 1 is pretty nice on 10.5" but I dunno if I should keep it or not, sell my 9.7" pro prematurely, and just wait for a jb and ride the iOS 11 beta train, idk

also could just ride out the 9.7" keyboard until 10.5" keyboards get cheap on eBay eventually, and then hand down my Smart Keyboard to someone in my family,

first world decisions here

Also, though aesthetically I prefer the trimmed bezels, I think the bezel bulk on 9.7" now makes sense, and had some thought behind it (however ancient it may now look by comparison)
Edit- specifically referring to trimmed portrait side bezels not the top and bottom portrait. That trim i wholly appreciate. The 9.7 side portrait bezel feels right for where I want to and end up resting my palm and fingers

someone said 10.5" feels like a shrunk 12.9" and thats at least a bit how I feel. Except Mini style. I like it, but it also seems like no longer a complete golden ratio proportionally

Love the look of trimmed bezels, appreciate the different experience, but I just dunno.

It feels way bigger in hands even though its not that much more of a physical footprint

sorry this thread is all over the place, but hope this opened up some conversation

And as a side note unrelated to its size- of course 120hz is uh-mazen. That could be a whole topic for a whole other thread.. I just don't like that it ruins everything else. Haha

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Only complaint is the lack of an Apple bottom cover.

Coming from a 9.7 I did not expect the 10.5 to be a huge improvement but the ProMotion is over the top for me. Screen movements are buttery smooth and my car racing app is spectacular.

Happy in Jax FL

Did ya already sell/offload your 9.7 pro or did you get to do a good comparison of the two?

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
I haven't had a "mid size" iPad for a couple of years; I've had a Mini and a 12.9 Pro for awhile now. So far I'm liking the size, though my heaviest use case is for work which I'll experience later today (handwritten notes outdoors - I'm mostly interested in the improved brightness, Apple Pencil tracking, and general form factor compared to the 12.9).

It's obviously not as comfortable or maneuverable as the Mini, and I find myself holding and using it in portrait which is new to me. That being said, I'm not having any issues with the extremely thin side bezels in portrait which is pleasantly surprising. Apple must be putting a lot of effort into the software with rejecting errant side touches.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Did ya already sell/offload your 9.7 pro or did you get to do a good comparison of the two?

One of the two 9.7 units is already claimed by a family member.

I did not get to take pictures but did hold the remaining 9.7 next to the 10.5 and the color temp of both screens were close to equal. In fact the 10.5 was slightly cooler. Either is more than acceptable to me.

You get used to the extra screen real estate quickly but the ProMotion effects almost everything in a positive way. The encrypted restore from iTunes did a great job with 10-15 apps needing to be updated afterwards.

Happy in Jacksonville!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
One of the two 9.7 units is already claimed by a family member.

I did not get to take pictures but did hold the remaining 9.7 next to the 10.5 and the color temp of both screens were close to equal. In fact the 10.5 was slightly cooler. Either is more than acceptable to me.

You get used to the extra screen real estate quickly but the ProMotion effects almost everything in a positive way. The encrypted restore from iTunes did a great job with 10-15 apps needing to be updated afterwards.

Happy in Jacksonville!

Awesome enjoy ! Yeah ProMotion has me spoiled

Does the bottom of your screen in portrait (near home button) have any yellow or warmth ?

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/iBoZjMm

Easy to see with this pic top saved made full screen and dragging it

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Only complaint is the lack of an Apple bottom cover.

Coming from a 9.7 I did not expect the 10.5 to be a huge improvement but the ProMotion is over the top for me. Screen movements are buttery smooth and my car racing app is spectacular.

Happy in Jax FL

I saw them on the shelf at Best Buy...$69

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Awesome enjoy ! Yeah ProMotion has me spoiled

Does the bottom of your screen in portrait (near home button) have any yellow or warmth ?

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/iBoZjMm

Easy to see with this pic top saved made full screen and dragging it

I will check tonight. Did not notice but have had my iPads locked in the landscape mode for so long for using the keyboard.
[doublepost=1497455443][/doublepost]
I saw them on the shelf at Best Buy

Saw what?

There are no Apple bottom covers only front covers from Apple.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
iPad pro 10.5 arrived at my office a few hours ago. Purchased the pencil also in the hopes to use it for some note taking or drafting. I have the iPad Mini 4 (second version) which is mainly used for video and some gaming. I expect to use the iPad Pro for productivity versus just videos and gaming. Impressions thus far.

1. Nice device size and excellent screen size. I have a Retina MacBook and this screen looks great compared side by side. Easy to read and plenty of room for apps and windows.

2. Don't understand why people complain about the "weight". This device is beyond light. Even with a cover is perfect fine. My coffee mug weighs more.

3. The cameras are excellent.

4. Movement in the screen is excellent: smooth, fast, zero lag and apps open quick as expected.

I have yet to download additional apps, but am very much looking forward to iOS11. This is when the device will shine.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Went from an air 2 to this and I have no issues with the side bezels. Even though the top and bottom bezels are smaller I still think they can be trimmed down more.

I don’t think its top bezels so much as the side trimmed ones

It looks great aesthetically, being closer to the edge, but even with excellent palm rejection, part of me doesn’t like obstructing the screen or having to be careful in where I place my palms/fingers

On the 9.7, even though it looks chunkier design wise, I wasn’t careful at all where I placed my palm

and I kinda like that, more? Enough more overall? IDK, i think too soon to tell but

Am I alone on that one?

Last edited:

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Love the look and size of the 10.5. Went with a 12.9 myself as it fits some specific needs better, but I actually think the 10.5 is the perfect overall combination of capability and portability. If I didn't have an SP4 I'd be picking up the 10.5 to go with the 12.9. Enjoy those 10.5's!

metalcyclone

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2017

It looks great aesthetically, being closer to the edge, but even with excellent palm rejection, part of me doesn’t look obstructing the screen or having to be careful in where I place my palms/fingers

On the 9.7, even though it looks chunkier design wise, I wasn’t careful at all where I placed my palm

and I kinda like that, more? Enough more overall? IDK, i think too soon to tell but

Am I alone on that one?

I know what you mean about not having to be careful where your palm rests. I used to hold my tablet from the bottom when in portrait but have started gripping it from the sides for the past couple years...

Now I'm back to holding it from the bottom again mostly, with this new 10.5" iPad Pro. I'm not complaining though... I think it's worth the trade off to have such a slick design and a bigger screen in virtually the same footprint.

I also have tried to grip from the sides and was able to do it without any false taps registering but it's not as comfortable, I know. It's like you have to be a little bit extra careful... when I had the Galaxy S6 edge+ with the curved screen it was the same problem until I got a case for it.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I really like it! ...don't like the software keyboard in landscape, it feels more cumbersome than 9.7" which now feels like the perfect ratio ergonomically
I really like the new 10.5 keyboard size. I really will like it when it gets updated to iOS11 with the 'flick' key function. On my 9.7, it has significantly increased my typing speed.

I have not had enough practice to favor the 10.5 over the 9.7 yet, but I feel it will grow on me.

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
I love the 10.5 size. Honestly, I did not expect that much of a difference going from a 9.7 to a 10.5 but now the 9.7 seems way behind the 10.5 in multiple respects. The bezel reduction alone is very apparent when looking at a 10.5 vs. 9.7. Everything is silky smooth and the screen is gorgeous. Can't wait to use this thing with iOS 11.

Nice work Apple.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I'm thinking of upgrading to the 10.5 from my current 9.7 Pro. Do you guys think it's worth the upgrade? And what are you doing with your 9.7's? Selling or keeping?

Also, I like the look of the Apple leather sleeve. I tend to use the 9.7 careless as it's so light. Any of you bought the leather sleeve also?

metalcyclone

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2017
I'm thinking of upgrading to the 10.5 from my current 9.7 Pro. Do you guys think it's worth the upgrade? And what are you doing with your 9.7's? Selling or keeping?

Also, I like the look of the Apple leather sleeve. I tend to use the 9.7 careless as it's so light. Any of you bought the leather sleeve also?
I think the upgrade is worth it... The larger screen in almost the same size body is great and when you look at all the benefits like A10X Fusion, ProMotion, full size keyboard etc... Its undeniably a very big update.

I'm keeping my 9.7" Pro for now. I've sold a few iPads in the past and have usually regretted it. I like to have extras for just in case and I never get as much for them as I truly feel they are worth.

Right now I'm using a sleeve I bought at BB. Its a universal sleeve for 10 inch tablets. Fits perfectly, not too snug or too loose. Just right. It was in the Surface area at BB. Not sure the brand. I'm thinking about getting the Brown leather smart cover and using that and the sleeve at the same time for added protection but I'm kind of liking the lightness of the tablet without anything on it. (When its not in the sleeve of coarse). I was also thinking about the brown leather sleeve Apple made but I heard somewhere that it has not padding inside. Just leather. I can't confirm this but it sounds like it might not offer that much protection...

Anyway, we'll see. I'm probably go with the leather smart cover e eventually.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I think the upgrade is worth it... The larger screen in almost the same size body is great and when you look at all the benefits like A10X Fusion, ProMotion, full size keyboard etc... Its undeniably a very big update.

I'm keeping my 9.7" Pro for now. I've sold a few iPads in the past and have usually regretted it. I like to have extras for just in case and I never get as much for them as I truly feel they are worth.

Right now I'm using a sleeve I bought at BB. Its a universal sleeve for 10 inch tablets. Fits perfectly, not too snug or too loose. Just right. It was in the Surface area at BB. Not sure the brand. I'm thinking about getting the Brown leather smart cover and using that and the sleeve at the same time for added protection but I'm kind of liking the lightness of the tablet without anything on it. (When its not in the sleeve of coarse). I was also thinking about the brown leather sleeve Apple made but I heard somewhere that it has not padding inside. Just leather. I can't confirm this but it sounds like it might not offer that much protection...

Anyway, we'll see. I'm probably go with the leather smart cover e eventually.

Yeah, I'm 99% pretty sure I'm going to get one. I have all 3 iPad's, Mini 4, Pro 9.7 and Pro 12.9 so if I get the 10.5 I think the 9.7 will have to go. It's the only one that's not cellular. Out of all 3 it's the middle size one that's my favourite so to upgrade this one makes sense. All my iPad's are also 128GB which is enough for me so 256 will be cool. My iPhone 7 Plus is 256 and has 156 available!

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Also coming from a mini 4, and having owned the 9.7" and 12.9" Pro's previously. This thing is a blown up mini on steroids! The bezels aren't that spectacular in actual physical measurements, as they match the mini, but when put on this 10.5" canvas, they seem much smaller...indeed the only thing I wish that was different was the resolution the same as the 12.9" so it would be a real "mini Pro".

But...that's exactly what this feels like now, a smaller version of the 12.9" Pro, and that is the exact opposite of being a bad thing. The ASK is somehow way more comfortable to use than the 9.7" version despite being only slightly bigger physically. Apple did very well utilizing that space to make the keys bigger and more spaced out in such a way as to feel very nearly as good as the 12.9" ASK.

Went my first day without using my Macbook out in the field today, and despite some hiccups with forgetting to update some apps (Excel for example wasn't working in split screen and I only figured out I needed to update it after I got home from the office) it was excellent.

I was going to get on the iOS 11 beta train immediately, but after my first day, I have decided it went well enough using Documents as my 'Files app' in split screen that I am going to wait for the public beta, even though I found myself thinking how great drag and drop would have been for a lot of things throughout my day, I actually had way more fun than with my rMB. It was lying in wait and ready to go just in case, but in all honesty I didn't have to reach for it once, although I almost did out of habit a couple of times. (I've been using an iPad as a complimentary device for over 5 years, so some habits die hard :))

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

It looks great aesthetically, being closer to the edge, but even with excellent palm rejection, part of me doesn’t like obstructing the screen or having to be careful in where I place my palms/fingers

Am I alone on that one?

I use my iPads in landscape mode 99.9% of the time and the top and the bezels are perfectly placed for holding while in landscape.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I use my iPads in landscape mode 99.9% of the time and the top and the bezels are perfectly placed for holding while in landscape.

I could see that

I'm big on landscape when attached to a Smart Cover/keyboard, but in tablet mode, I use portrait A TON

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I could see that

I'm big on landscape when attached to a Smart Cover/keyboard, but in tablet mode, I use portrait A TON

I have got so used to the keyboard in landscape that portrait would cause me a new learning curve I do not need now.

It is great Apple gives us a choice. Landscape or portrait the smaller edge bezels should not be a big issue.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I have got so used to the keyboard in landscape that portrait would cause me a new learning curve I do not need now.

It is great Apple gives us a choice. Landscape or portrait the smaller edge bezels should not be a big issue.

Yeah not a huge issue but I think in hindsight the bezel in portrait works fine on 9.7 it amounts to no screen obstruction even being really loose with how I hold and use my iPad

I think trimmed bezel portrait sides is more for design than function imo

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.