How are you planning on transferring current data

busterbluth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Im waiting for my MBPR to arrive and I am starting to think of ways to transfer data from my old MBP. I have never used migration assistant, but I was hoping to pick and choose what I transfer over as I have accumulated a lot of junk over the years. but I am not sure how I will transfer all of my licenses. What is everyone planning on doing?

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Im waiting for my MBPR to arrive and I am starting to think of ways to transfer data from my old MBP. I have never used migration assistant, but I was hoping to pick and choose what I transfer over as I have accumulated a lot of junk over the years. but I am not sure how I will transfer all of my licenses. What is everyone planning on doing?
Whenever I get a new computer I prefer to start fresh. I'll move some important documents and photos to an external hard drive and bring them over. I'll handle apps one by one, just bringing over the important ones and then getting other ones as needed later. It's the best way to make sure I don't immediately cram the new Mac with stuff I never use.

Comment

busterbluth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Whenever I get a new computer I prefer to start fresh. I'll move some important documents and photos to an external hard drive and bring them over. I'll handle apps one by one, just bringing over the important ones and then getting other ones as needed later. It's the best way to make sure I don't immediately cram the new Mac with stuff I never use.
Sorry if this a stupid question, but how will you transfer programs like office. Do you still have the original CD's and licenses? Thats what I'm most worried about. Thanks

Comment

RSully

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
Sorry if this a stupid question, but how will you transfer programs like office. Do you still have the original CD's and licenses? Thats what I'm most worried about. Thanks
Now you see why the Mac App Store is needed ;). Just going to click "install" next to Keynote and Pages.

As far as installing from CD, they do have the CD-sharing feature. No idea how well it works though. I'll probably just use network transfers.

Comment

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I would use migration assistant after having removed items I no longer want from the old machine (fully backed up in case of any mishaps). Worked like a dream last time.

Comment

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2009
I would use migration assistant after having removed items I no longer want from the old machine (fully backed up in case of any mishaps). Worked like a dream last time.
Yep, not as clean as deannnnn's method, but less of a hassle.

Comment

busterbluth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
thanks

I think i will likely use migration assistant. Im a little bummed that my storage space from 4 years ago will remain the same, i couldn't afford any higher capacities. oh well. thats what my base station with external hard drive is for.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.