How are you planning on transferring current data

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by busterbluth, Jun 13, 2012.

1. busterbluth macrumors 6502

Im waiting for my MBPR to arrive and I am starting to think of ways to transfer data from my old MBP. I have never used migration assistant, but I was hoping to pick and choose what I transfer over as I have accumulated a lot of junk over the years. but I am not sure how I will transfer all of my licenses. What is everyone planning on doing?

2. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Whenever I get a new computer I prefer to start fresh. I'll move some important documents and photos to an external hard drive and bring them over. I'll handle apps one by one, just bringing over the important ones and then getting other ones as needed later. It's the best way to make sure I don't immediately cram the new Mac with stuff I never use.

3. busterbluth thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry if this a stupid question, but how will you transfer programs like office. Do you still have the original CD's and licenses? Thats what I'm most worried about. Thanks

4. RSully macrumors member

Now you see why the Mac App Store is needed ;). Just going to click "install" next to Keynote and Pages.

As far as installing from CD, they do have the CD-sharing feature. No idea how well it works though. I'll probably just use network transfers.

5. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I would use migration assistant after having removed items I no longer want from the old machine (fully backed up in case of any mishaps). Worked like a dream last time.

6. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Yep, not as clean as deannnnn's method, but less of a hassle.

7. busterbluth thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks

I think i will likely use migration assistant. Im a little bummed that my storage space from 4 years ago will remain the same, i couldn't afford any higher capacities. oh well. thats what my base station with external hard drive is for.