How are you saving money?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by brn2ski00, Apr 4, 2008.

1. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I am personally trying not to eat out as much, go grocery shopping, etc...

Also, I keep the heat around 60F when we are not home, 67-68 when we are. Also taking shorter showers...

So what is everyone else doing?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

got given a certain sum of money from my Grandmother's Estate and part of it is in the market AFI shares. coming up again! when up a bit during 2007 but its dropped a little because of the credit crisis. most of this will go towards my uni fees and property in the future...

i also only spend about half of the weekly earnings from my part time job and save the other half.

also saving pocket change also works well :) good for parking ;)

3. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

Drive not faster then 60MPH, prepare own meals, bargain shopping, installed solar gable and roof vents, etc.

Loooong time ago, we've setup an automatic bank account transfer where money is being transfered five times a month from the checking into the savings account. This was by far the best way to save money. Once a certain sum is reached, we invest in one or more CD's and keep rotating them on a three, six, nine and twelve month schedule.

4. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Yeah...living approx a half mile from work is nice. (especially after working an hour from home for a year).

Other things that work.
    When you pay off a loan...instead of squandering the cash for something personal, put it towards other loans. It will still end up feeling like you have extra cash at the end of the month.

Try not to do small loads of laundry, or if your used to just washing your clothes alone...try to double up and combine loads with your spouse or roommate.

(However...I wouldn't suggest opening windows just yet, esp in Southern U.S. right now, the pollen is awful. I have a yellowish tinge to my white car right now. And I washed it two days ago. *blech*)

Gas...unless your car specifically calls for it, bump yourself down from premium to mid-grade unless your already using regular (at least until the gas prices break) you can always treat yourself to a premium tank every once in a while which is usually good anyway.

:D:D:D
    And...Yes, eating in is not only nice on the wallet...but normally healthier for you considering you have more control on the seasoning and extras that go into your meals.

Yes, but how do you decide what is comfortable for your budget...did you take out a percentage of what was available in the account, or a set rate that is to be removed?

5. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I agree, gas is a huge issue and I just read an article that said going 10 MPH over the speed limit is like spending an extra .56 on gas per gallon!

Out of control

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Regardless of how much you make, you must live within your means.

Budgets usually don't work after a while.

I used to help folks with finances. And one thing that I did learn, is that as our wages go up, the amount of money spent goes up as well.

So while saving may be the noble way of doing it, but I have found the reverse way is better for me. Just take 10-25% off the top and put it into savings and investments. Never touch this money for any reason. Then live with what is left over. Simple. And it works.

P.S. Don't try to do this from 0% to 25% all at once. Start out small and increase regularly.

7. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

My car died about a month ago, and insteasd of running out and getting a new one, I'm carpooling with my wife. Luckily, we work very similar schedules and work within 5 miles from each other or else it wouldn't work. The money we would be spending on gas, insurance and another car is going to pay of our credit cards. Once we get them payed off, we may break down and get the new (to me) car.

So far so good. I never thought it would work so well. If you can get away with it, having one family car is saving us a ton of money!

8. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I also noticed that we are saving a bit more by ski season winding down... Now that it is into April and the resorts are closing soon, we aren't driving up every weekend and spending out the butt on gas

9. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

... and lift tickets.

10. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Well, we bought passes this year, so we dropped that cash 6 months back. However, driving to my parent's condo in VT is the killer.

11. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

Our savings account is a set rate per transaction (5 x $X amount) and is adjusted annually after our raises kick in. We also do not carry any credit debt but do have a monthly mortgage and one car payment. The second car is provided to my wife by her employer.

Also, if you have a house you pay property taxes. The easiest way I found to do that, provided you have the money, is to put an estimated amount of next years taxes into a high-yield savings account for nine to 12 months, earn interest on it until you pay your annual tax. Before this, we used to have a separate savings account in which we put an automated monthly dollar amount into, calculated easily: Estimated annual property tax / 12 months = monthly dollar amount.

12. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Im saving money by not buying piles of crappy gadgets I will never use :D

13. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Half of my paycheck goes into the bank. Granted I don't make much, It's still something.

14. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

1. I buy all my clothes, except undergarments, from Goodwill or Salvation Army.
    2. We only eat out at restaurants once a week or less.
    3. I bring my lunch to work.
    4. If it is within 2 miles, I walk. If it isn't, I take the bus.
    5. Within 5 miles, I bike.
    6. Brita pitcher and fill a nalgene instead of buying bottled water
    7. I buy used textbooks
    8. I eat lots of rice and beans (seriously, I love it!)
    9. I use my electronics until they die. Then, I try to fix them.
    10. I go the library or take hikes instead of seeing movies, going to bars, etc.
    11. I invest what I don't need.
    12. I allocate 55-60% of what I make as "money I live on". The rest pays the debts for school, etc.

15. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I think we are all guilty of that! :D

16. foidulus macrumors 6502a

I live in Germany

but get paid in dollars, so to me "inflation" is going on 15% per annum...

I basically don't spend very much at all. No cell phone, work insane hours so don't go out a lot, and I try, whenever possible, to cook at home.

I also only live 5k from work, so come sun or rain or snow, I can get there sans automobile, and that has saved me a TON of money.

I don't even know how much gas costs because I don't have to buy :D

17. grouper macrumors regular

dont go shopping when you are bored.
    i have to remind myself sometimes

18. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Use transportation with two wheels instead of four :)

19. hartwork macrumors member

Half?? That's impressive. I tried saving one-tenth of my paycheck but I felt that it was a waste when I could have been living more with it.

Right now, my priorities aren't in saving but rather in paying the rent (which have skyrocketed in Sydney) and making the most of each day.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

For me I have a automatic transfer set up on my bank account. Every Friday it transfers the money from checking to savings. I choose Friday because I am paid weekly and that is always after my pay check is deposited.

As odd as it sounds I charge everything to a credit card that I pay off every month. Having the sticker shock at the end of the month really helps cut down on the nickel and dime stuff that adds up. Plus online I can see where the money is going by category and that helps out. Things like grocery and Gas I pay no attention to but everything else well that can get some sticker shock in it.

Take my lunch to work really helps out. It cost 1/2 or less than what it cost me to eat out at work.
    Do not go out for groceries when I am hungry.
    Try to limit those want buys. I found a good way of doing this is giving my self like 20-30 bucks a week to spend on what ever I want and not to account for it. Save that money for bigger items.

It is the little things that really get you. Big purchases seem to be easier to budget for.

On the first Friday of every month my goal is to see my checking account be larger than the month before. It seems to be a good way for me to track my cost month to month. As an added bonus my budgeting is based on 4 weeks a month cycle. So that leaves me 5 pay checks a year completely unaccounted for so that tends to be straight savings.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

False. Unless your car recomends or requires it putting any higher grad that what it calls for is a waste of money no matter what the price of gas is.

Putting the premium in your take will screw things up for you engine not help it out because it cause the computer change setting and it takes it a while to adjust back.