How are you supposed to use the ext. HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by piatti, Jun 11, 2011.

1. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

So I don't have enough space in MBP and need to move esp. the iPhone-movies that I made to the HDD. But is there any way to do it more efficiently than moving it to HD and then deleting the moved files from the MBP?

Same thing with music files. Can I run iTunes or iPhotos straight from the ext HDD instead of from the computer? If so, is it better to do this and how?

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

With iPhoto there is a very simple solution. Download the iphotolibrarymanager (search via google).
    You can create and manage multiple libraries, switch between them and you can more less put them wherever you like. You can keep a small one on the notebook and a big one on the ext. HDD.

Music. Yes you can run all from the external drive. There are guides that show you how to move all your music. Basically select a new media folder in the prefs and than mae itunes consolidate all your music in that folder. It will copy everything by itself. Afaik iTunes doesn't work well or at all with multiple locations though.

With the movies I don't know what you mean by more efficient. You can write scripts and stuff that move one month old files or something. You can automate part of it but in the end it is all just copy and paste.

3. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

4. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

I tried the iPhoto manager, by clicking 'Add Library' and choosing 'Elements' but it says,

5. piatti, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

6. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

What should I do if I want to move the bulk of my iTunes library to the ext hard drive and leave my most frequently used music (my playlists) on the computer so I don't have to plug in the thing everytime I want to sync my iPhone with iTunes?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How to split a single iTunes library over two media locations

8. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

9. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

I had a Genius Bar appointment and the person made my HDD partition into three separate things. I wished that it could have been into two separate things so I could use one for mainly movies and use the other one for mostly music. Also each partition has 666 GB (or MB, I forget) which is kind of unpleasant.

And then she didn't know how to partition it to 2 things (I'm calling it 'things' because I forget what it's called).

Anyway how do you move all your music files to the HDD except for the music contained in your playlists? Is there a way you can move them, not just copy and paste and which leaves you to delete the files you just moved? Because that's just copying and pasting not moving them, and it's cumbersome to delete the files.

10. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Ok I just created "HDD library" on the iphotolibararymanager but I don't know how to place that library on my external HDD (What's the shorter abbreviation for "external HDD"?)

11. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

How can you see where all your music is? I remember the person in the Apple store went to Finder, Users, (my username), Music, iTunes, iTunes music. And I see all these folders of artist names and their music. And I can just move them and delete them from the computer but I want to leave out the music in my playlists if I can.

Right now I just want to move all my movie and most of my music but I don't even know how to find them all in bulk. (And I want to separate the music in my playlists from the bulk of music that I want to move to the EHD so I can sync music without plugging in my EHD everytime I change some music)